Posted to dev@ranger.apache.org by Alok Lal <al...@hortonworks.com> on 2014/12/23 20:01:02 UTC

Fwd: Opinion on Hive include/exclude indicators on policy manager gui

Hi folks:

I wanted people's opinion on the following:

I feel that the *Include/Exclude* slider on the Hive policy configuration
page should turn red (or some color other than gray) for exclude instead of
gray.  Gray is fine for policy and audit *enabled/disabled* and is in line
with the visual cues of how such slider is used in iOS.

Further, this should also be extended to the policy summary page -- the
page which shows all hive policies as a table.  However, there disabled
policies shows up as red for policy enabled/disabled field, where as the
audit enabled disabled show up as gray.  I can understand why we might have
wanted to show disabled policy as Red, perhaps to draw administrator's
attention to it.  But because of that choice now it makes it tricky for us
to show exclude as red on that page.  The slider for disabled policy is
gray.  So we would have this odd situation where slider color and color in
table won't match.

All of that said what do folks think of the following:

   1. In the Hive policy edit/create/update page turn the slider background
   to red (or some other color) on choosing exclude (currently gray).
   2. Use the same tag color on the policy summary page for exclude
   policies, i.e. red (or other color).
   3. Review if we want to use the same color for tags in the policy
   summary page and background for slider button in policy definition page.
   If so, then we should change how disabled policy is indicated either in the
   policy summary page or on the policy definition page.

Thanks
​Alok​

--
"* ... there is nothing more secure then a computer which is not connected
to the network --- and powered off!...*" - from Kerberos Introduction

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Opinion on Hive include/exclude indicators on policy manager gui

Posted by Don Bosco Durai <bo...@apache.org>.
Alok, I agree, we should change the color. We have been restricting the color theme to shades of green. Probably Balaji can suggest a shade for this. We should avoid Red if possible.

Thanks

Bosco