Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Mark Benedetto King <mb...@lowlatency.com> on 2004/07/21 15:39:36 UTC

Re: svn commit: r10375 - trunk/subversion/libsvn_ra_local

On Wed, Jul 21, 2004 at 05:49:36AM -0500, lundblad@tigris.org wrote:
> Author: lundblad
> Date: Wed Jul 21 05:49:28 2004
> New Revision: 10375
>
> Modified:
>    trunk/subversion/libsvn_ra_local/split_url.c
> Log:
> Fix bug introduced into ra_local in r10353 in the case where the file://
> URL includes a hostname.
>
> * libsvn_ra_local/split_url.c (svn_ra_local__split_url): Change "localhost/"
> to "localhost" in comparison to URL hostname.

Is this just something we have for convenience, or is there
a real specification of this behaviour?  What about, for example,
localhost.localdomain?  Or 127.0.0.1?

--ben

Re: svn commit: r10375 - trunk/subversion/libsvn_ra_local

Posted by Mark Benedetto King <mb...@lowlatency.com>.
On Wed, Jul 21, 2004 at 05:59:48PM +0200, Klaus Rennecke wrote:
> Mark Benedetto King wrote:
>
> >On Wed, Jul 21, 2004 at 05:49:36AM -0500, lundblad@tigris.org wrote:
> >[...]
> >>* libsvn_ra_local/split_url.c (svn_ra_local__split_url): Change
> >>"localhost/"
> >>to "localhost" in comparison to URL hostname.
> >>

> >Is this just something we have for convenience, or is there
> >a real specification of this behaviour?
>
> RFC 1738, section 3.10 Files http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1738.html
>
>   "As a special case, <host> can be the string "localhost" or the empty
>    string; this is interpreted as `the machine from which the URL is
>    being interpreted'."

Thank you, that's exactly what I was hoping.

> >What about, for example,
> >localhost.localdomain?  Or 127.0.0.1?
> >[...]
>
> These are not covered. Especially 127.0.0.1 is far less universal than
> people tend to think.

Right!  I was afraid we were hardcoding something that might be site
dependant.

--ben

Re: svn commit: r10375 - trunk/subversion/libsvn_ra_local

Posted by Klaus Rennecke <kr...@tigris.org>.
Mark Benedetto King wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 21, 2004 at 05:49:36AM -0500, lundblad@tigris.org wrote:
> [...]
>>* libsvn_ra_local/split_url.c (svn_ra_local__split_url): Change "localhost/"
>>to "localhost" in comparison to URL hostname.
>>

> Is this just something we have for convenience, or is there
> a real specification of this behaviour?

RFC 1738, section 3.10 Files http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1738.html

   "As a special case, <host> can be the string "localhost" or the empty
    string; this is interpreted as `the machine from which the URL is
    being interpreted'."

> What about, for example,
> localhost.localdomain?  Or 127.0.0.1?
> [...]

These are not covered. Especially 127.0.0.1 is far less universal than
people tend to think.

/Klaus

Re: svn commit: r10375 - trunk/subversion/libsvn_ra_local

Posted by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net>.
Mark Benedetto King <mb...@lowlatency.com> writes:

> Is this just something we have for convenience, or is there
> a real specification of this behaviour?  What about, for example,
> localhost.localdomain?  Or 127.0.0.1?

Neither will work.  There is absolutely no DNS resolution or anything
going on here, because there is no network involved.  "localhost" is
just a convenience.