Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by Eduardo Nunes <es...@gmail.com> on 2009/02/23 20:19:46 UTC

What IDE best fits with Wicket?

Hello guys,

I don't want to generate a flame war but I want to know your opinion
about what IDE best fits with Wicket?

The basic requirements are: free and the set of plug-ins free too.

Thanks,
Eduardo S. Nunes

Re: What IDE best fits with Wicket?

Posted by dtoffe <dt...@yahoo.com.ar>.
    There is a Wicket plugin in the Netbeans plugins center, but I prefer to
configure it as a library. If you use Maven based projects, adding the
references to the pom should be enough I guess.

Hth,

Daniel

Posted by Eduardo Nunes <es...@gmail.com>.
Do you use some plug-in?

I like netbeans too.

Posted by Jeremy Levy <je...@gmail.com>.
Eclipse or NetBeans.

I like netbeans.  Use what your most productive in..

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 2:19 PM, Eduardo Nunes <es...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello guys,
>
> I don't want to generate a flame war but I want to know your opinion
> about what IDE best fits with Wicket?
>
> The basic requirements are: free and the set of plug-ins free too.
>
> Thanks,
> Eduardo S. Nunes

Jeremy Levy

See my location in real-time:
http://seemywhere.com/jeremy

Re: What IDE best fits with Wicket?

Posted by Thomas Mäder <th...@devotek-it.ch>.
The nice thing about wicket is that you don't need tools. It's just Java and
just HTML, so anything will do. "discover the simplicity" would be the
slogan ;-) (Cue video of good looking people enjoying the simple pleasures
of life)

Thomas

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 8:19 PM, Eduardo Nunes <es...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello guys,
>
> I don't want to generate a flame war but I want to know your opinion
> about what IDE best fits with Wicket?
>
> The basic requirements are: free and the set of plug-ins free too.
>
> Thanks,
> Eduardo S. Nunes

Wicket & Eclipse Consulting
www.devotek-it.ch
thomasmaeder.blogspot.com

Re: What IDE best fits with Wicket?

Posted by Jeremy Thomerson <je...@wickettraining.com>.
If you run the Start.java file included in a quickstart under **debug mode**
in Eclipse it starts up a Jetty server for you and **recognizes changes
immediately** in both class files and html files.

Just running the app in development mode under any container should make
html changes appear immediately - have them do that..

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 7:18 PM, Eduardo Nunes <es...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I deal directly with HTML coders and I want to bring to them an easy
> of use project build / run. I don't want to be called every time a new
> HTML join to the project team because he doesn't have the setup of the
> project. I think that maven help me a lot with it but I'm a little bit
> afraid of the build, for example:
> A HTML coder change some HTML, he needs to re-build the entire system
> to see the change, it isn't a good thing. Is it possible to define
> something on maven to just copy the HTML files to the deployment
> directory? I wondering to use ant as build because with it I have all
> flexibility necessary to do this kind of thing.
>
> What is your opinion?
>
> Thanks,
> Eduardo S. Nunes
>
> On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 3:17 PM, Marcelo Morales
> <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 12:55 PM, Brill Pappin <br...@pappin.ca> wrote:
> >> If your on Netbeans, I think Maven will generate Netbeans project files
> for
> >> you as well (it will do so for eclipse), so you could actually flip back
> and
> >> forth if you wanted.
> >
> > Netbeans does NOT need any other project files. It just need the pom.xml.
> > After personalizing, you'll might find a couple of extra files like
> > nbactions.xml, profiles.xml, that you can safely ignore on your SCM.
> > You can checkout the wicket source from SVN and just open it up with
> > netbeans. Nothing else is necessary
> >
> > --
> > Marcelo Morale

Jeremy Thomerson
http://www.wickettraining.com

Re: What IDE best fits with Wicket?

Posted by Brill Pappin <br...@pappin.ca>.
you can mix Ant and Maven easily with the antrun plugin.
another option is to use the inline maven goal for the war plugin
which I think will allow you to edit the HTML in place.
Your issue it certainly not a new one... most of the very good
designers i know don't even want to know how to run a build let alone
understand one.

Wicket actually helps there, but as you get more complex and you start
breaking up the components into their separate HTML files, the
designers environemnt starts to break down.

hard problem...

- Brill

Posted by Marcelo Morales <ma...@gmail.com>.
Even NetBeans is not that straitforward, but it is less problematic
than eclipse IMHO.
There are ways to acomplish what you ask. NetBeans will copy content
under 'webapp/WEB-INF' to 'target' on changes, but not under 'java'.
Bad NetBeans Bad.
I will give it a shot in a couple of days and let you know.
Don't like ant, don't want to go back to ant, is too much programming
on xml for my taste. Suggest maven any day of the week.

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 9:18 PM, Eduardo Nunes <es...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I deal directly with HTML coders and I want to bring to them an easy
> of use project build / run. I don't want to be called every time a new
> HTML join to the project team because he doesn't have the setup of the
> project. I think that maven help me a lot with it but I'm a little bit
> afraid of the build, for example:
> A HTML coder change some HTML, he needs to re-build the entire system
> to see the change, it isn't a good thing. Is it possible to define
> something on maven to just copy the HTML files to the deployment
> directory? I wondering to use ant as build because with it I have all
> flexibility necessary to do this kind of thing.
>
> What is your opinion?
>
> Thanks,
> Eduardo S. Nunes
>
> On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 3:17 PM, Marcelo Morales
> <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 12:55 PM, Brill Pappin <br...@pappin.ca> wrote:
>>> If your on Netbeans, I think Maven will generate Netbeans project files for
>>> you as well (it will do so for eclipse), so you could actually flip back and
>>> forth if you wanted.
>>
>> Netbeans does NOT need any other project files. It just need the pom.xml.
>> After personalizing, you'll might find a couple of extra files like
>> nbactions.xml, profiles.xml, that you can safely ignore on your SCM.
>> You can checkout the wicket source from SVN and just open it up with
>> netbeans. Nothing else is necessary
>>
>> --
>> Marcelo Morale

Marcelo Morales

Re: What IDE best fits with Wicket?

Posted by Eduardo Nunes <es...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marcelo Morales <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Martin Makundi <ma...@koodaripalvelut.com>.
The codehaus eclipse plugin has worked quite ok for us, but we didn't
dare to upgrade from Eclipse 3.1 ;) It didn't seem to work in others.

**
Martin

Posted by Eelco Hillenius <ee...@gmail.com>.
I'm using Jetty directly (without Maven, though we do use maven for
project management), and hotswap works great then.

Eelco

Posted by francisco treacy <fr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Brill Pappin <br...@pappin.ca>.

Posted by Sergio García <sg...@denodo.com>.

Posted by Brill Pappin <br...@pappin.ca>.
What are you using instead?

Posted by Nick Heudecker <nh...@gmail.com>.
I didn't think IDEA users would fall for such an obvious trap.

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 10:21 AM, PY <po...@py-code.com> wrote:

> +1 for IDEA.
> The wicket plugin is really simple but allow to match up markup id from
> HTML
> to Java code.
> Netbeans is cool too.
>

> Maarten Bosteels wrote:
> >
> > IDEA users, don't be shy ! ;-)
> >
> > Probably nobody dared to mention it because it's not free.
> > But guess what. It is free for Open Source development (and a personal
> > license costs only 225 euro)
> >
> > I think IDEA is really fantastic.
> > It has great maven support out-of-the-box, it will also download sources
> > and
> > javadocs based on your dependencies.
> > And there's a nice plugin for Wicket:
> > http://code.google.com/p/wicketforge/
> >
> > My main downside for IDEA is that it still doesn't have proper
> > multi-monitor
> > support.
> >
> > To be honest, I haven't tried eclipse or netbeans in a while, so I can't
> > really compare.
> >
> > Maarten
> >
> > On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 6:45 PM, James Carman
> > <jc...@carmanconsulting.com>wrote:
> >
> >> +1!  We had an awful lot of trouble getting it to work for us.

> for
> >> the
> >> plugin
> >> and

> >> files
> >> for
> >> back
> >> and

> >> sources
> >> &
> >> convenient.
> >> tool.

> http://wicketinaction.com

Nick Heudecker
Professional Wicket Training & Consulting
http://www.systemmobile.com

Eventful - Intelligent Event Management
http://www.eventfulhq.com

Re: What IDE best fits with Wicket?

Posted by PY <po...@py-code.com>.
+1 for IDEA.

Posted by Maarten Bosteels <mb...@gmail.com>.
IDEA users, don't be shy ! ;-)

Posted by James Carman <jc...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Posted by Richard Allen <ri...@gmail.com>.
I think when/if Eclipse supports nested projects, that might help.
Eclipse.org appears to be working on it for version 4. See:
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=35973

I have also ran into problems with m2eclipse, however I have kept it
installed for use with small projects and for the POM editor. We continue to
use eclipse:eclipse for our projects because they are large multi-project
builds. However, m2eclipse can be useful when you want to browse a smaller
project. I just checkout the project from the command line, then use File >
Import > General > Maven Projects and point it at the project's root
directory where the POM resides. That's faster than using eclipse:eclipse.
The POM editor is useful for viewing the dependency hierarchy.

Posted by nino martinez wael <ni...@gmail.com>.
Replying inline

Posted by Emond Papegaaij <em...@topicus.nl>.
Some of the benefits are:

Posted by nino martinez wael <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Emond Papegaaij <em...@topicus.nl>.

Posted by nino martinez wael <ni...@gmail.com>.

Re: m4eclipse Plugin -- Was: What IDE best fits with Wicket?

Posted by Brill Pappin <br...@pappin.ca>.
I *do* feel your pain and I understand the problems you are having.
the m2eclipse plugin is actually participating in the build that
Eclipse initiated (which it does do after every code change), which
helps keep things in sync. What exactly it does will depend on what
needs doing (for instance if you have a lot of filtered resources,
it's going to take longer).

About your corrupt modules... I also get that from time to time, but I
usually find that happens if there is an error some place like in a
POM file. Finding it and fixing it usually resolves the problem.

You may be able to turn off that auto build... earlier versions of the
plugin didn't do it but you'd end up with partial builds on the
eclipse side and more of a mess than was worth it.

You can also make sure you have run a build in the console as it will
speed up the m4e plugin (it doesn't have to download anything).

I think that if your happy with the mvn eclipse:eclipse method of
working, then you don't really need to change.. your modules are
clearly designed for it and the m2e plugin does pretty much the same
thing anyway.

I guess it's a bit unfortunate that you had so much trouble with it,
but I can tell you that I use the m4e plugin every hour of every
working day without any trouble. I think part of why it works so well
for me is that I keep my modules small and flat (little to no nesting)
and so *don't even notice* when it's building... it may be that it
works for me because of how I work and organize my projects.

So, the other plugin I was talking about is the q4e plugin... I was
very not impresses when I tried it. You can check it out yourself at:
http://code.google.com/p/q4e/

Also, I noticed before that the q4e plugin was going into Eclipse,
however I now see that the m4eclipse plugin is becoming an official
plugin:
http://www.eclipse.org/m2e/

- Brill Pappin

Posted by Emond Papegaaij <em...@topicus.nl>.

Posted by Brill Pappin <br...@pappin.ca>.

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Brill Pappin <br...@pappin.ca>.

Posted by Brill Pappin <br...@pappin.ca>.
Oh nice...
I was just thinking that it would be nice to have a plugin that would
rename the html files when i renamed the class... I hadn't tried
Wicket Bench yet...

Guess what I'm doing today?

- Brill

Posted by Vit Rozkovec <ro...@email.cz>.

Posted by Marcelo Morales <ma...@gmail.com>.
I am a NetBeans user, and I have been for a long time. The maven
integration in NetBeans is excelent.
Works with profiles, downloads sources and javadoc, quickstart is
right there when creating a new project, code-completes the pom.xml
including dependency names and keywords (like "compile" or "runtime"),
hyperlinks the urls on the pom, has builtin macros for common tasks
like adding a new dependency, excluding a transitive dependency, you
can edit the settings.xml from whithin the IDE, you can browse the
sources on the SCM system of any dependency (when properly defined),
etc.
Just a couple of months ago the wicket plugin was the cause of
uncomfortable bugs on NetBeans. They were corrected but I've never
gave it another shot. It provides templates for pages, borders, and
panels. It can parse a html to find wicket components.

Hope it helps.

--
Marcelo Morales

Re: What IDE best fits with Wicket?

Posted by Pierre Goupil <go...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Loic Descotte <lo...@gmail.com>.
Hi, I use Eclipse with Wicket Bench plugin and it works very fine.

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 9:57 PM, Jeremy Thomerson <jeremy@wickettraining.com
> wrote:

> This is my choice, too, but the most concrete reason I have is "I like it"
> and "it works well *for me*".  Find one that fits those criteria for you,
> and you'll be happy :)
>
> On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 2:48 PM, Brill Pappin <br...@pappin.ca> wrote:
>
> > your choices are pretty limited based on criteria... however I'm an
> Eclipse
> > fan.
> > I use Eclipse with maven2...
> >
> > - Brill
> >

> > On 23-Feb-09, at 2:19 PM, Eduardo Nunes wrote:
> >
> >  Hello guys,
> >>
> >> I don't want to generate a flame war but I want to know your opinion
> >> about what IDE best fits with Wicket?
> >>
> >> The basic requirements are: free and the set of plug-ins free too.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Eduardo S. Nunes

> Jeremy Thomerson
> http://www.wickettraining.com