Posted to user@nutch.apache.org by Doug Cook <na...@candiru.com> on 2006/08/21 22:55:50 UTC

Re: Problem with logging of Fetcher output in 0.8-dev

Hi, Ed-

I'm seeing the same problem. If anyone has had a similar experience and
solved it, please let me know. In the mean time, I'll keep investigating and
post back if I figure out what's going wrong.

This may or may not matter, but I'm running everything on a single MP
machine w/o DFS.

Doug

e w wrote:

> Logging of the Fetcher output in 0.8-dev used to work (writing to the
> corresponding tasktracker output log) but doesn't appear to any more with
> the nightly build from a couple of weeks ago and also the one from last
> night.
>
> I've enabled DEBUG for the first 4 logging properties in
> conf/log4j.properties and also:
>
> <property>
>   <name>fetcher.verbose</name>
>   <value>true</value>
>   <description>If true, fetcher will log more verbosely.</description>
> </property>
>
> in nutch-site.xml.
>
> Does anyone else have this problem? If not, can anyone suggest a likely
> cause? Thanks,
>
> -Ed

Sent from the Nutch - User forum at Nabble.com.

Re: Problem with logging of Fetcher output in 0.8-dev

Posted by Stefan Groschupf <sg...@101tec.com>.
> I don't know if Chris Schneider's patch for HADOOP-406 will prove
> to be the
> "long-term" solution, but it certainly works for me.

If you like please vote for this issue! I also use it in several
projects and wonder why it is not yet part of hadoop.
Thanks.

Stefan

Re: Problem with logging of Fetcher output in 0.8-dev

Posted by Doug Cook <na...@candiru.com>.

Hi, Ed,

Funny you should choose just now to reply. I just solved the problem on my
own system and was about to post what I found.

This appears to be related to HADOOP-406:

That appears to be why the child JVM fails to inherit hadoop.log.dir, etc.

I applied the patch for that, and then added the following to
mapred.child.java.opts in  conf/hadoop-site.xml:
-Dhadoop.log.dir=@property[hadoop.log.dir]@
-Dhadoop.log.file=@property[hadoop.log.file]@

I also made my HADOOP_LOG_DIR environment var an absolute path instead of a
relative one, so that any inheriting processes don't care where they're
running (that did seem to be a problem, too).

I don't know if Chris Schneider's patch for HADOOP-406 will prove to be the
"long-term" solution, but it certainly works for me.

Thanks for following up!

Doug

Posted by e w <ep...@gmail.com>.
Hi Doug,