Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by TomK <sw...@yahoo.com> on 2005/01/05 00:27:56 UTC

JAR locking / Tomcat 5.5.4 / Windows

I've been following the recent threads regarding JAR locking with Tomcat 5.x on Windows platforms.   A few people mentioned they had been able to get either the antiJARLocking or antiResourceLocking attributes to work, so I've spent quite a bit of time trying out different scenarios and configurations, under the impression that I must be missing something simple.....however, I've not yet found a situation where either attribute has any effect on deploy/undeploy.

I've put together a simple app that illustrates the issue.    Here's how to replicate:
(I've actually started with a fresh, clean copy of Windows XP SP2)
1. Install JRE 5.0 (Update 1)
2. Install Tomcat 5.5.4, using windows installer.
3. Start Tomcat.
4. Using the manager webApp, deploy this WAR.
5. Point your browser to the webApp (named 'sample'), follow the link, enter data in sample form, click OK.
6. note the [TomcatHome]/'temp' directory is empty.
7. Using the manager webApp, undeploy the sample app.

at this point, on my machine, struts.jar is left in the WEB-INF/lib directory.   Note that at step 5, the application should be running from the 'temp' directory, which it is not.    The context.xml for this webApp has the antiResourceLocking="true" value set.   Setting this attribute in the global context.xml also has no effect.

Any ideas are appreciated.
thanks
tk

Re: JAR locking / Tomcat 5.5.4 / Windows

Posted by Siarhei Dudzin <si...@gmail.com>.
Do you know how to set the same when running Tomcat in console mode
(from command prompt)?

RE: Sending email with zip file attach problem

Posted by Daxin Zuo <dz...@techexcel.com>.
Thanks for the reply. So I have to output the file.
If, in jave, there is no way to upload the file and attach the file
directly, it seems strange.

Posted by Caroline Jen <ji...@yahoo.com>.

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

Sending email with zip file attach problem

RE: Authentication problem in Sending email from servlet. (tomcate 5)

Posted by Daxin Zuo <dz...@techexcel.com>.
Sorry, no problem. The account password is wrong.

Posted by Dominik Drzewiecki <dr...@post.pl>.
TomK <sw...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Dominik --  Regarding your statement that "the latest CVS version does
> not suffer from the nasty jar locking."   I'll try it out later, but are
> you suggesting 5.5.7  will not have JAR locking issues at all, and thus
> the antiResourceLocking and antiJARLocking attributes will be
> unnecessary??

Well, in my particular case (I have a test app using jstl fmt taglib) I no
longer needed antiJARLocking. I have even explicitely set it to false in
context.xml. It undeploys now whereas before having the fix applied
undeploy failed.

cheers
/dd

Re: JAR locking / Tomcat 5.5.4 / Windows

Posted by TomK <sw...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by TomK <sw...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks very much, I'll check the latest version out and post my results, in case anyone else has this issue.

-tk

<didn't_get_my_coffee_this_morning_rant>
That I find myself saying "In case anyone else has this issue" is somewhat amazing to me.  Either:
1) Hardly anyone is using Windows as their deployment environment for Tomcat.   (I probably wouldn't be either, if I had a choice.)
or
2) Those using Windows as the deploy environment aren't concerned about re-deploying applications, and are content to simply restart the server, so resource locking is not an issue.
or
3) Everyone can properly edit the context.xml file, except me and 5 other people on this list.

There have been quite a few posts to this list, as well as bugs opened in bugzilla reporting JAR locking (with versions 5.0.x, 5.5.x).   I'm a bit disheartened by the earlier replies.   Either the bug was closed as "invalid", or the reply was "Get yourself a better operating system", or "You aren't doing it right".     Given the unlikely nature of #3 above, it seems much more likely that this is indeed a bug.    I hope it has been fixed.

Posted by Dominik Drzewiecki <dr...@post.pl>.

Posted by Siarhei Dudzin <si...@gmail.com>.
Did you find a solution?