Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Clemens, Michael" <Mi...@epos-cs.de> on 2002/06/19 15:57:10 UTC

Memory blowup and performance problems

hi,

i have a problem with running tomcat 4.03 on my linux box. after starting
tomcat, java takes nearly all my memory (~500megs) until theres no more. for
this it needs about 1 day. now tomcat needs about 1 to 2 minutes to react,
escecially after leaving him alone for a few hours. memory is never given
back to the system by him.

michael

RE: Memory blowup and performance problems

Posted by Chris Newland <ch...@emorphia.com>.
Hi Michael,

Can you tell me how many requests you are receiving in a day?

Do these requests each result in a JSP compilation? There is a known memory
leak in the javac compiler so this may be the problem.

How are you using Tomcat? Servlets? JSP? Cocoon?

Best Regards,

Chris

Posted by Marius Schwarz <sc...@power-netz.de>.
Hello Michael

On 19-Jun-02, you wrote:

> hi,
>
> i have a problem with running tomcat 4.03 on my linux box. after starting
> tomcat, java takes nearly all my memory (~500megs) until theres no more.
> for this it needs about 1 day. now tomcat needs about 1 to 2 minutes to
> react, escecially after leaving him alone for a few hours. memory is never
> given back to the system by him.

you use a database , right?

Check your db code for synced methods and open connections AND for
deadlocks in your database itself.

Why?

1. if you don`t get an answere from the db in time tc will open a new task
for it
  -> increasing number of JVM without ANY performance increase.

2. syncronzied methodes can cause 1. , depends on the requests

3. objects need memory and resources. They can only be free if they are no
longer used.

Regards
--
Ihr POWER-NETZĀ®-Team

>>> POWER-NETZĀ®
            Full-Service-Provider <<<

Service Tel:  01805 - 57 35 57 (DM 0,24/Min.)
Service Fax: 01805 - 57 45 57 (DM 0,24/Min.)

Online-Support:
Support: 0190 - 15 11 15 (DM 1,21/Min)
#http://Support.Power-Netz.de# (kostenlos)
#http://Support.Power-Netz.com# (kostenlos)