Posted to user@ant.apache.org by SimonBate <sb...@scriptorium.com> on 2014/09/12 21:59:13 UTC

native2ascii and JDK/JRE

[Trying again with a better subject and no garbage at the end...sorry.]

Excuse me if this has been answered or documented elsewhere, I've been searching
for the past couple of hours and have found very little on this issue.

I have a project that uses the native2ascii task, that works fine on a machine
with JRE 6 (1.6.0_65-b14-462-11M4609).

However, when trying to run the same project under JRE 7 (1.7.0_67-b01), it
fails with the Java message "Error starting Sun's native2ascii."

Eventually I was able to fix this issue by copying tools.jar from a JDK into the
lib file of my JRE.

I'm surprised to have to go to such lengths to fix this issue. I'm also
surprised there's not more documentation in the native2ascii task in the Ant
manual pointing out this problem.

Is there a more elegant solution out there than copying tools.jar? (I'm using
Apache Ant under the DITA Open Toolkit; most DITA OT users just use the JRE.)

Thanks for any help or suggestions,
Simon

Simon F. Bate
Senior Technical Consultant, Scriptorium Publishing Services, Inc.
sbate@scriptorium.com <ma...@scriptorium.com>
phone: 919.433.2606
twitter: @simonbate

Re: native2ascii and JDK/JRE

Posted by SimonBate <sb...@scriptorium.com>.
Thanks, Martin,

The DITA Open Toolkit is a bit of on odd duck. It uses Ant, but not to build
Java, so the JDK isn't required to run the OT. (People just get used to the
constant "missing tools.jar" messages.) As I said, the DITA OT only requires a JRE.

So yes, you're correct, if the user has the JDK, adding tool.jar to the
classpath is a good thing to do (and solves my elegance question).

However, absent the JDK, the situation is a bit stickier.

Simon

--

Simon Bate
919.433.2606