Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com> on 2011/10/14 01:16:19 UTC

An Appeal To Use the Latest Betas

If you've been following the discussions here and elsewhere, you may
be aware that Tapestry 5.3 is nearly done, with big improvements to
every aspect of Tapestry, including speed and memory utilization. Our
goal is to deliver an upgrade that is as seamless as possible.

The PMC would dearly like to get a final release out and available
before December (that is, within one year of the release 5.2).

However, we can't do it without YOU:  We need people actively using
Tapestry to upgrade to the latest betas (5.3-beta-20 is the latest,
but we're releasing new updates almost every day). We are looking for
broken features or problems upgrading ... all the things that will get
in the way of a release candidate and then a final release.

Your feedback is essential ... without are community, we don't know
for sure that Tapestry is ready to go to the next stage.  Please
budget some time, as soon as possible, to run you application under
5.3 and report back here about any problems you find. Without accurate
(and hopefully, positive) feedback, we will not be able to progress to
a final release ... and that means we'll be delayed adding the next
layer of amazing features in Tapestry 5.4!

Please see these notes on how to make use of the latest beta preview releases:

http://tapestry.apache.org/2011/08/27/tapestry-53-beta-preview.html

http://tapestryjava.blogspot.com/2011/10/tapestry-53-maven-archetype.html

I've been posing on twitter each time a new preview is made available:

http://twitter.com/#!/search/%23tapestry5

... and note that by the time you do you upgreade, the exact version
number may have changed (don't worry, beta-20 will still be available
when beta-21 is made available).

Your support is deeply appreciated ... now get back to coding less and
delivering more!

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry

(971) 678-5210
http://howardlewisship.com

Re: An Appeal To Use the Latest Betas

Posted by Massimo Lusetti <ml...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 10:45 PM, Geoff Callender
<ge...@gmail.com> wrote:

> chenille-kit is a blocker for me, too.

I'm really willing to give an update to chenillekit this coming
weekend... hopefully I will be able to respect my plans

Cheers
--
Massimo
http://meridio.blogspot.com

Re: An Appeal To Use the Latest Betas

Posted by Geoff Callender <ge...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bob Harner <bo...@gmail.com>.
Which 2 libraries?

Posted by Greg Pagendam-Turner <gr...@liftyourgame.com>.
Howard,

My site seems to work fine under beta 19.

Regards,

Greg Pagendam-Turner.

Posted by Mark <ma...@xeric.net>.
I am running into a problem getting the betas using maven and nexus.
My setup is that everything points to my instance of nexus and it in
turn points to all the other repositories.  I have setup a Release
proxy and a Snapshot proxy both pointing to:

https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/staging/

For some reason the betas are not showing up in either repository.
They are showing up when I browse the remote from within my instance
of nexus, but when I click over to browse the index they aren't there.
It is almost as if the betas are getting put in the right directory,
but the index is not being updated.  Another theory is that these
betas are being marked as a SNAPSHOT so they don't show up in the
Release index, but aren't following the Snapshot naming convention so
they don't show up there either.

Has anyone run into any similar issues or have any suggestion?

Mark

Posted by Serge Eby <sd...@hotmail.com>.
I tried  beta-23 and it worked.

Thanks,

/Serge

Re: An Appeal To Use the Latest Betas

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
Generating 5.3-beta-23 right now.

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by jesse <je...@hotmail.com>.
I would love to be using the latest version of tapestry, but sadly can't due
to the jpa issue I'm having with it, described here:
http://tapestry-users.832.n2.nabble.com/Problems-using-JPA-with-5-3-td6898469.html

Re: An Appeal To Use the Latest Betas

Posted by Steve Eynon <st...@alienfactory.co.uk>.
A question I've been meaning to ask for a wee while now...

"How do I find out what updates go into each beta release?"

I've tried poking around JIRA but have not been able to come up with a
successful query. (I also admit my JIRA foo is lacking.)

You mention Twitter but I've resisted that (and mobile phones!) for so
long now that, if possible, I'd rather not! Are there any
alternatives?

Cheers,

Steve.

Posted by Christian Riedel <cr...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Tony Nelson <tn...@starpoint.com>.
I saw the following notification in my tomcat log after a tomcat:redeploy

SEVERE: The web application [/instihire] registered the JDBC driver [org.postgresql.Driver] but failed to unregister it when the web application was stopped. To prevent a memory leak, the JDBC Driver has been forcibly unregistered.
Oct 14, 2011 12:02:30 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig checkResources
INFO: Undeploying context [/instihire]

To be sure it was beta-21, I completely removed the app from webapps, did a tomcat:deploy followed by a tomcat:redeploy.  The same error was logged.

Hope this helps.
Tony

Posted by "Wechsung, Wulf" <wu...@sap.com>.

Posted by Steve Eynon <st...@alienfactory.co.uk>.

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
Please add a JIRA issue.  The workaround is likely to disable service
reloading, see the documentation for this.