Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by Thorsten Schöning <ts...@am-soft.de> on 2016/04/09 08:42:14 UTC

Automatically generate breadcrumb like page headlines from navigation

Hi all,

I have a navigation like the following:

> Parent 1
> - Child 1
> - Child 2
> Parent 2
> - Child 1
> - Child 2
> Parent 3
> - Child 1
> - Child 2

The important thing is that all the "Parent X" levels are no links,
just wicket:message, simply because there's no valuable content to
provide, but all the "Child X" are links.

What I would like to achieve is automatically adding a headline on
each requested page like the following:

> Parent 1: Child 1

If Parent 1/Child 1 was requested.

> Parent 1: Child 2

If Parent 1/Child 2 was requested and so on. Currently I do this
manually for each page using "wicket:message" and I'm looking for a
solution to automate this, because the navigation levels are already
translated and all the words should be the same anway.

I already had a look at BreadCrumbBar and IBreadCrumbParticipant, but
am not sure how to approach from there. The links are Wicket
components and I can do things with them, e.g. get their translated
texts and such, all that Wicket currently does as well. So those
should be usable as "IBreadCrumbParticipant" somehow.

But how would I access their parents, which are only wicket:message?
Whatever my "IBreadCrumbParticipant" looks like, it would need the
translation of "Parent X" as well, but there's no available component
to work with right now.

Do you have any ideas for me? Thanks!

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Thorsten Schöning

Telefon...........05151-  9468- 55
Fax...............05151-  9468- 88
Mobil..............0178-8 9468- 04

Re: Automatically generate breadcrumb like page headlines from navigation

Posted by Martin Grigorov <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Apr 9, 2016 9:42 AM, "Thorsten Schöning" <ts...@am-soft.de> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a navigation like the following:
>
> > Parent 1
> > - Child 1
> > - Child 2
> > Parent 2
> > - Child 1
> > - Child 2
> > Parent 3
> > - Child 1
> > - Child 2
>
> The important thing is that all the "Parent X" levels are no links,
> just wicket:message, simply because there's no valuable content to
> provide, but all the "Child X" are links.
>
> What I would like to achieve is automatically adding a headline on
> each requested page like the following:
>
> > Parent 1: Child 1
>
> If Parent 1/Child 1 was requested.
>
> > Parent 1: Child 2
>
> If Parent 1/Child 2 was requested and so on. Currently I do this
> manually for each page using "wicket:message" and I'm looking for a
> solution to automate this, because the navigation levels are already
> translated and all the words should be the same anway.
>
> I already had a look at BreadCrumbBar and IBreadCrumbParticipant, but
> am not sure how to approach from there. The links are Wicket
> components and I can do things with them, e.g. get their translated
> texts and such, all that Wicket currently does as well. So those
> should be usable as "IBreadCrumbParticipant" somehow.
>
> But how would I access their parents, which are only wicket:message?
> Whatever my "IBreadCrumbParticipant" looks like, it would need the
> translation of "Parent X" as well, but there's no available component
> to work with right now.

<wicket:message> is just a convinience for new Label(id, new
ResourceModel(key))