Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Sudheendra Hebbagilu <su...@insage.com> on 2001/02/15 16:21:25 UTC

IBM Websphere and other app server

Hi All,
I don't know whether this is off topic or not. But here is the problem.
I really want to use struts for the next project. And now I am deciding
which app server.
My boss wants to use IBM WebSphere. I don't know how good it is.
The application we are going to develop is not that complex, and not mission
critical.
It will be hosted on Sun Solaris, developed on Windows NT , postgresql as
back end, and Apache web server.

For sure we want to use STRUTS, no matter what app server.

For a small to medium scale project, which is not mission critical, what is
the best app server to use along with Struts, considering ease-of-use,
portability/scalability/performance/stability and of course cost.

We are not going to use EJB, just simple beans.

Any info/input will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Sudhi

Re: IBM Websphere and other app server

Posted by Thierry Cools <th...@s1.com>.
I think that the question is not what app server you will use, but well which servlet engine you want to use.

As far as I know, Web sphere is not the best app server that exist on the market (it doesn't support the EJB 1.1 specifications).

Personnaly, I've used Tomcat, Weblogic and Dynamo ATG 5.0, and if you want to use struts I think that the best choice is Tomcat + BAS( Borland Application Server), on the other hand if you want a solution App server + servlet engine, I think that Weblogic 6.0 is a good choice.

Forget ATG.

Thierry.

Thierry Cools

Senior Java Developer
S1 Brussels
Kleine Kloosterstraat, 23
1932 st. Stevens-Woluwe
Belgium
Tel : +32 2 200 43 82
Email : thierry.cools@s1.com

Posted by Jean-Noël Ribette <je...@improve.fr>.
Hi Sudhi

As Websphere is not JSP 1.1 and Servlet 2.2 compliant there are issues which
make it difficult to use with Struts.

I attached the install instructions Dion Gillard posted yesterday to the
mailing list.

Jean-Noël

--
--__/ \__------------------------------------------
  improve             Jean-Noël Ribette

Posted by Oscar Pearce <os...@pearceenterprises.com>.

    Sudheendra> Hi All, I don't know whether this is off topic or
    Sudheendra> not. But here is the problem.  I really want to use
    Sudheendra> struts for the next project. And now I am deciding
    Sudheendra> which app server.  My boss wants to use IBM
    Sudheendra> WebSphere. I don't know how good it is.  The
    Sudheendra> application we are going to develop is not that
    Sudheendra> complex, and not mission critical.  It will be hosted
    Sudheendra> on Sun Solaris, developed on Windows NT , postgresql
    Sudheendra> as back end, and Apache web server.

It probably is off-topic, but I'll answer anyway, since I (unfortunately)
know a little bit about Websphere.

    Sudheendra> For sure we want to use STRUTS, no matter what app
    Sudheendra> server.

Good choice :-).

    Sudheendra> For a small to medium scale project, which is not
    Sudheendra> mission critical, what is the best app server to use
    Sudheendra> along with Struts, considering ease-of-use,
    Sudheendra> portability/scalability/performance/stability and of
    Sudheendra> course cost.

    Sudheendra> We are not going to use EJB, just simple beans.

Since you're not using EJB, and you're not afraid of Free
Software/Open Source, I'd just use Tomcat.  It's free, stable, and is
well supported.  Not only that, but Struts works really well with it -
the primary author of Struts, Craig McClanahan, works on Tomcat for
his day job.  You might not even need Apache, if you're just doing
html/JSP work - we've deployed a project on a standalone setup of
Tomcat.  It's easier to configure things that way, although Tomcat is
slower at serving up static content than Apache is.

If you think you might want EJB support, JBoss (http://www.jboss.org) is
worth a look, and so is Enhydra (http://www.enhydra.org).  I have some
limited experience with JBoss, and like it fairly well.

    Sudheendra> Any info/input will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in
    Sudheendra> advance Sudhi

Hope this helps at least a little,
Oscar