Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by "Christopher G. Stach II" <cg...@ldsys.net> on 2007/01/25 21:28:18 UTC

AMQ release schedule

It has been mentioned repeatedly in the past that AMQ was going to
"release early and release often."  Frankly, the release schedule (or
lack thereof) is terrible.  All of the releases have gone out with
relatively major bugs.  That's fine, but once they're found, they should
be gathered into a bugfix release and... released.  I know I'm not the
only one who was stuck on a version because it worked better than the
next, even though it had bugs, but the next had worse/other problems to
find and figure out.  Some people are on 4.0.1 and going to 4.1.0 (also
with major bugs like AMQ-1078 and Kaha being useless) is even a tough
sell.  Now we should go to 4.2 snapshots?  What about 4.1.1?  Is it
going to be in limbo for another few months?

I'm not paying for AMQ, so I can't really complain about it working or
not.  However, your release process/schedule still sucks.  Take some
tips from Hibernate or Spring.

--
Christopher G. Stach II

Re: AMQ release schedule

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
Fair point. One thing which should help now is that we're now a top
level project (http://activemq.apache.org) so the ActiveMQ PMC can do
a single vote to make a release - rather than a 2 stage thing with the
Incubator stuff which hopefully will mean less work & faster turn
around time of releases.

We should start the ball rolling on a release soon too...

--

James
-------