Posted to user@syncope.apache.org by brain <br...@uhn.ca> on 2016/08/05 17:26:22 UTC

Can Syncope meet my needs?

As I get more familiar with syncope, I am more impressed. but I would like to
make sure that this software is right for my non-profit organization.

My Goals for the IDM
- Initial identity information is collected once when a person starts work.
- Account provisioning is automated in all systems.
- Roles define default privileges and access.
- Users self manage their demographics.
- Integrated HR and technical processes.

Am I correct to say that syncope can meet most if not all of these goals?

Re: Can Syncope meet my needs?

Posted by Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org>.
On 08/08/2016 21:07, brain wrote:
> Can I use the syncope web services to authenticate usernames and password
> without the need of a connector?

If you browse the mailing list archives at

https://lists.apache.org/list.html?user@syncope.apache.org

or

http://syncope-user.1051894.n5.nabble.com/

you will find several reference for use cases similar to yours.

Apache Syncope exposes a full-fledged, JAX-RS compliant, RESTful
interface which can be leveraged for your purpose (as references will
confirm).

For larger deployments I would rather suggest to setup a more involved
architecture with separate Access Manager - say CAS or Shibboleth -
instance.

HTH
Regards.

--
Francesco Chicchiricc�

Tirasa - Open Source Excellence
http://www.tirasa.net/

member, Syncope PMC chair, Cocoon PMC, Olingo PMC,
CXF Committer, OpenJPA Committer, PonyMail PPMC
http://home.apache.org/~ilgrosso/

Re: Can Syncope meet my needs?

Posted by brain <br...@uhn.ca>.

Re: Can Syncope meet my needs?

Posted by Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org>.
Hi Brian,

On 2016-08-05 19:26 brain wrote:
> As I get more familiar with syncope, I am more impressed. but I would
> like to
> make sure that this software is right for my non-profit organization.
>
> My Goals for the IDM
> - Initial identity information is collected once when a person starts
> work.

I would say this is self-registration, which you can handle with Apache
Syncope Enduser - see demo at

http://syncope-vm.apache.org:9080/syncope-enduser

> - Account provisioning is automated in all systems.

Generally, provisioning works this way but complete coverage depends on
the availability of ConnId connectors for such systems:

https://github.com/Tirasa/ConnId/blob/master/README.md#available-connectors

Naturally, new connectors can be created for other technologies.

> - Roles define default privileges and access.

In Syncope, roles are used for internal authorization and delegated
administration; groups can be used instead to cover this item.

> - Users self manage their demographics.

Again, Enduser is fit for the job.

> - Integrated HR and technical processes.

This really depends on what you mean by "integrated": is this something
covered by provisioning? Alternatively you can tweak the workflow.

> Am I correct to say that syncope can meet most if not all of these
> goals?

Definitely, you are correct: should you need some more background
information on how Apache Syncope works, please take a look at the draft
reference guide that we are finalizing in these days: still some parts
missing, but core concepts already there:

https://ci.apache.org/projects/syncope/reference-guide.html

HTH
Regards.
--