Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Lars George <la...@gmail.com> on 2012/06/15 10:07:41 UTC

Metrics in 0.96

Hi,

I propose that we clean up the metrics for 0.96 as well (if that is not already underway. This includes switching to Hadoop Metrics v2 and adding all missing stats, as well as fixing those that are misleading or useless. For that reason I talked to our friends at Sematext during the Buzzwords HBase workshop, as well as to our internal HBase team. We all seem to agree and I'd be happy to setup some sort of call/task force to discuss what we need to work on etc. Obviously I would love for someone from the FB team to also partake as they have done heaps lately on that end - but I also understand if that is a timing issue.

What do y'all think? My reasoning is that 0.96 might become 1.0, but I would love for the metrics to be stable by then.

Cheers,
Lars

Re: Metrics in 0.96

Posted by Dave Wang <ds...@cloudera.com>.
I'm willing to contribute whatever time I can to help out.

- Dave

Re: Metrics in 0.96

Posted by Lars George <la...@gmail.com>.
Hi Enis,

Hecks yeah, there are so many different prefixes alone that make finding what you need nearly impossible without practice. I agree on the configurable metrics backend, that will allow to enable what is needed optionally. We just have to find a good approach. One of the things that FB has learned the "hard" way is that some metrics at scale are not sustainable. We could, even think about building in some reasonable heuristics to disable some high throughput metrics when a threshold is crossed.

Lars

Re: Metrics in 0.96

Posted by Enis Söztutar <en...@hortonworks.com>.
Big +1.

Re: Metrics in 0.96

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Re: Metrics in 0.96

Posted by Elliott Clark <ec...@stumbleupon.com>.
Sounds great.
I also think we should start moving away from just averages, and move
towards using the histograms.  Right now the histograms are broken, they
don't get exported into jmx but I've got a fix I think (HBASE-6211).  I
would also like to look into tying Server/Region Load in with metrics.

Re: Metrics in 0.96

Posted by Lars George <la...@gmail.com>.
Hi Andy,

Re: Metrics in 0.96

Posted by Andrew Purtell <an...@gmail.com>.
+1

Re: Metrics in 0.96

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Re: Metrics in 0.96

Posted by Andrew Wang <an...@cloudera.com>.
I think Elliot's concern with the histogram improvements is that if it goes
in hadoop-common, HBase is only going to get it after it gets rolled into a
new hadoop-common release and HBase bumps the version on the hadoop-common
dependency. I don't think this is so bad.

For now though, I'm willing to maintain an HBase patchset against this
future improved hadoop-common until it's actually released.

Thanks,
Andrew

Re: Metrics in 0.96

Posted by Andrew Purtell <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: Metrics in 0.96

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
I suggest continuing discussion on HBASE-4050.

Cheers

Re: Metrics in 0.96

Posted by Elliott Clark <ec...@stumbleupon.com>.

Re: Metrics in 0.96

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

Re: Metrics in 0.96

Posted by Alex Baranau <al...@gmail.com>.
Meanwhile I suggested taking on this one:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-4050 separately/first. What do
you think?

Alex

Re: Metrics in 0.96