Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Jeff Jensen <je...@upstairstechnology.com> on 2005/11/09 05:01:11 UTC

RE: [m2] doc suggestions (was Guide to creating archetypes)

Besides the multi-module doc, my experience wishes for the POM entry
descriptions - some are too vague.  More detail (what is it for/why would
you use it, how to use it), examples, valid values, etc. would help a lot.

I think the project descriptor has big potential as a solid reference
vehicle, with the added info.  I would value that more than many of the
"guides".

For a simple example, the <packaging> element doesn't describe valid values,
so a search begins to learn them.  Viewing the schema doesn't help, as the
packaging type is "string".  Additionally, I think the phrase "type of
artifact" is not intuitive to newbies, so listing the valid values would
bring contextual explanation, as well as their definition.

HTH, and thanks for asking.

Posted by Jeff Jensen <je...@upstairstechnology.com>.
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-1479

Thanks Jason.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On Tue, 2005-11-08 at 22:01 -0600, Jeff Jensen wrote:
> Besides the multi-module doc, my experience wishes for the POM entry
> descriptions - some are too vague.  More detail (what is it for/why would
> you use it, how to use it), examples, valid values, etc. would help a lot.
>
> I think the project descriptor has big potential as a solid reference
> vehicle, with the added info.  I would value that more than many of the
> "guides".
>
> For a simple example, the <packaging> element doesn't describe valid values,
> so a search begins to learn them.  Viewing the schema doesn't help, as the
> packaging type is "string".  Additionally, I think the phrase "type of
> artifact" is not intuitive to newbies, so listing the valid values would
> bring contextual explanation, as well as their definition.

Good idea, can you capture this in JIRA please.

> HTH, and thanks for asking.

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason at maven.org