Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Caroline Jen <ji...@yahoo.com> on 2003/10/17 08:12:59 UTC

Where Do I Create Session, Set Attributes in Struts?

I use container-managed form-based authentication to
verify users (it works well).

Now, I want to create a session and set user's name
after users successfully log in:

HttpSession session = request.getSession( true );
if ( session.isNew() )
{
   student.setName(request.getParameter("username"));
   session.setAttribute("student", student);
   Student stud =
(Student)session.getAttribute("student");
}

First of all, in the context of container managed
authentication, can I write:

   student.setName(request.getParameter("username"));

Second, what is the proper place to insert the
aforementioned codes.

The container intercepts and takes care of the
authentication when

     <forward
        name="logon"
        redirect="true"
        path="/do/Menu"/>

and the action controller is in the scaffold folder:

    <action
        path="/Menu"
        name="menuForm"

type="org.apache.struts.scaffold.ExistsAttributeAction"
        parameter="application;HOURS">
        <forward
            name="success"
            path=".article.Menu"/>