Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Marc Perkel <ma...@perkel.com> on 2007/08/28 16:53:28 UTC

And interesting way to detect spambots

I'm doing some interesting experimenting and discovered and interesting
way to detect spam bots. It appears that spam bots cache DNS far longer
than ordinary. And that is detectable.

As you know I use several fake high numbered MX records to fool spam
bots into hitting the back door and going away. What most people don't
yet know is that isn't all I do. I actually harvets the spam, return a
fake reject 550 before the final quit (an Exim feature) and forward the
spam off to several blacklist for harvesting, including my own blacklist.

What I'm trying now is changing the high fake MX IP addresses to a
different group of fake IP addresses. My TTL is 5 hours and under normal
conditions mail server shouldn't be hitting the fake MX at all, but what
I'm seeing is that even after the fake IPs are replaced with a new set
that spam bots continue to hit the old fake IP addresses, even several
days later.

I'm thinking that by using shifting IP patterns that one could harvest
spam bot IP addresses directly into blacklists with very high confidence
that good email servers would never go to expired fake high MX records.
I'm doing it on my blacklist which has grown to about 300,000 entries,
and I only keep 3 days of data.

Who finds this concept interesting?

Re: And interesting way to detect spambots

Posted by Marc Perkel <ma...@perkel.com>.
continued ....

It appears that spam bots do their own DNS caching. That reduces DNS
calls and lets them send more spam over the same low bandwidth
connection. You might have noticed that if you change the MX record for
domain that the old IP is still hit with spam sometimes weeks later. I
think once a spam bot looks up an IP that it uses the same one until the
infected computer is rebooted.

The point here is that only spammers would be attempting to send spam to
expired hi numbered MX records when low numbered MX records are working.
If many traps like this were set up we copuld very quickly detect
millions of spam bots.

I'm watch my system work now and it catches a new one every 2 seconds
even after 3 days since I changed the IP addresses of my fake MX records.

Re: R: And interesting way to detect spambots

Posted by Jim Maul <jm...@elih.org>.
John D. Hardin wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Aug 2007, Giampaolo Tomassoni wrote:

Especially after marcs website...wow.

Re: R: And interesting way to detect spambots

Posted by "John D. Hardin" <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Tue, 28 Aug 2007, Giampaolo Tomassoni wrote:

  Taking my gun away because I *might* shoot someone is like cutting
  my tongue out because I *might* yell "Fire!" in a crowded theater.
                                                  -- Peter Venetoklis
 Today: Exercise Your Rights day

R: And interesting way to detect spambots

Posted by Giampaolo Tomassoni <g....@libero.it>.

tolerated in this list. After all, these talks may be interesting to most of
us.

Giampaolo