Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Alexander Diedler <ad...@tecracer.de> on 2011/04/21 11:07:53 UTC

Allocate JVM settings per instance

Hello,

I have a windows server 2003 with three instances of Tomcat (2x6.0.26 and
1x6.0.32). Every Tomcat has it own dir and the services was installed
through "/bin/service install [service-name]".

How can I change the JVM settings per instance? If I try to open the
tomcat6w.exe, I got not the instance, that the tomcat6w.exe currently
contains, instead of the first instance I have installed.

Greetings

Alexander Diedler

Re: Allocate JVM settings per instance

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Alexander Diedler wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a windows server 2003 with three instances of Tomcat (2x6.0.26 and
> 1x6.0.32). Every Tomcat has it own dir and the services was installed
> through "/bin/service install [service-name]".
>
> How can I change the JVM settings per instance? If I try to open the
> tomcat6w.exe, I got not the instance, that the tomcat6w.exe currently
> contains, instead of the first instance I have installed.

The "tomcat6w.exe" and "tomcat6.exe" programs are actually instances of the "Apache
Commons Daemon" software.

The main project page, which explains very well the point of it, is here :

http://commons.apache.org/daemon/

The Windows version documentation is here :

http://commons.apache.org/daemon/procrun.html

and "tomcat6w.exe" is really a renamed version of "prunmgr".

In short :
if you have installed 3 instances of Tomcat as Windows services, you had to give them 3
different "service names".
Supposing that one of them is "tomcatA", just invoke tomcat6w as follows :

c:\tomcatA\bin> tomcat6w.exe //ES//tomcatA
and it will show the Registry parameters corresponding to that instance.

Re: Allocate JVM settings per instance

Posted by chris derham <ch...@derham.me.uk>.
I have a windows server 2003 with three instances of Tomcat (2x6.0.26 and
1x6.0.32). Every Tomcat has it own dir and the services was installed
through “/bin/service install [service-name]”.

> How can I change the JVM settings per instance? If I try to open the
> tomcat6w.exe, I got not the instance, that the tomcat6w.exe currently
> contains, instead of the first instance I have installed.

Assuming you tried the command

<tomcat_home>\bin\tomcat6w

to edit service called my_service use

<tomcat_home>\bin\tomcat6w //ES//my_service

Chris