Posted to marketing@openoffice.apache.org by Samer Mansour <sa...@gmail.com> on 2014/04/14 15:32:14 UTC

Re: Close, but not quite 100 million...

I heard we're getting close. Here is a doodle I put together:

http://s28.postimg.org/t2b93detp/1_Mill_AOOClear140px.png
http://s14.postimg.org/twbuik4dd/1_Mill_AOOClear80px.png

When I see we hit 1,000,000 I can resize, position and update our social
media profile backgrounds.

Samer.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 2:12 AM, Roberto Galoppini <
roberto.galoppini@gmail.com> wrote:

> Few hours ago we went live with a countdown counter on Apache OpenOffice
> project page at SourceForge, check it out:
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/openofficeorg.mirror/
>
> This is a brand new feature we created for Apache OpenOffice 100 M mark,
> hope you'll like it!
>
> Roberto

very fun! :)

> > Yes, tonight I'm going to have the 100px ready for Rob on the homepage.
> >
> > I'll also firebug hack facebook/twitter/G+ locally so I can preview the
> > profile background without actually uploading so its ready too.
> >
> > I'll also post share links:
> > twitter 86 char w/o link "We hit 100 Million+ downloads today! RT to show
> > support. The #free #opensource office suite
> > https://www.openoffice.org/download/"
> > facebook/g+ "@ApacheOO hits 100 Million+ downloads! Celebrate with us by
> > sharing the news. Get the #free #opensource office productivity suite
> here
> > https://www.openoffice.org/download/"
> >
> > Rob can you private e-mail me when it hit 100Mil with the blog post (is
> it
> > in draft yet?).  I don't always view the mailinglist but I will see a pm
> > my inbox, hopefully I'm around my pc.
> >
> > estimation when that will happen, its till est for thursday?
> >

> > On Mon, Apr 14, 2014 at 3:38 PM, Marcus (OOo) <ma...@wtnet.de>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Am 04/14/2014 04:03 PM, schrieb Samer Mansour:
> > >
> > >  Here we go: http://s28.postimg.org/nuwli5jd9/100_Mill_AOO140px.png

> wide
> > >>

> > > The graphic looks perfect for such a celebration. Thanks for the work.
> > :-)
> > >
> > > Marcus
> > >

> > >  On Mon, Apr 14, 2014 at 9:58 AM, Samer Mansour<sa...@gmail.com>

> pescetti@apache.org>

> > the
> > "100

> > logo

MzK

"Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing."
                                            -- Helen Keller

Re: Close, but not quite 100 million...

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.
On 4/15/14 11:12 AM, Roberto Galoppini wrote:
> Few hours ago we went live with a countdown counter on Apache OpenOffice
> project page at SourceForge, check it out:
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/openofficeorg.mirror/
>
> This is a brand new feature we created for Apache OpenOffice 100 M mark,
> hope you'll like it!

I like it ;-), nice feature. Thanks for sharing this info.

Juergen

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

On 15.04.2014 13:47, Roberto Galoppini wrote:
>> :

>>> Actually what we didn't count are language packs and beta versions, sorry
>>> for the confusion.
>>>

>> I think the referenced list is also used by Rob's scripts to create the
>> download statistic on our website - http://www.openoffice.org/
>> stats/downloads.html
>>

> Actually I got that list from Rob, just to make sure we were counting the
> very same thing.

Ok. Thus we are safe here.

>> Hopefully, the downloads of the checksum files are not included in the new
>> download counter on SourceForge. Also, the downloads of the SDKs should not
>> be included.
>>

> I think that's the case.
>

>> It would be good, if the new download counter at SourceForge and the
>> download statistic on our website are counting the same.
>>

> Moving forward we might want to have that live counter on openoffice site,
> we might aim to do that for the next big milestone (150M? 200M?).

The next big milestone for me is 500M.

Best regards, Oliver.

Re: Close, but not quite 100 million...

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
Roberto Galoppini wrote:
>> It would be good, if the new download counter at SourceForge and the
>> download statistic on our website are counting the same.
> Moving forward we might want to have that live counter on openoffice site,
> we might aim to do that for the next big milestone (150M? 200M?).

This would be quite interesting. Of course this is for the medium-long
term, but it would be nice to know what we can use, in terms of
technology, on the current openoffice.org site.

For example, the blog for sure strips all <iframe>. I don't know if the
Apache CMS (the tool responsible for publishing pages on openoffice.org)
enforces similar changes to prevent embedding content from other sites.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Close, but not quite 100 million...

Posted by Roberto Galoppini <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Roberto Galoppini <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 04/15/2014 11:47 AM, schrieb Roberto Galoppini:
>> :
>
>> Hi,
>>

>> On 15.04.2014 11:12, Roberto Galoppini wrote:
>>
>>> Few hours ago we went live with a countdown counter on Apache OpenOffice
>>> project page at SourceForge, check it out:
>>> https://sourceforge.net/projects/openofficeorg.mirror/
>>>
>>> This is a brand new feature we created for Apache OpenOffice 100 M mark,
>>> hope you'll like it!
>>>

>> Yes, I like it very much.
>>

> Thanks Oliver and Jurgen, glad to know you like that guys!

I love it, too. Thanks for that. :-)

Marcus

Re: Close, but not quite 100 million...

Posted by Roberto Galoppini <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Roberto Galoppini <ro...@gmail.com>.

> On Tue, 15 Apr 2014 11:38:59 +0200
> Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > On 15.04.2014 11:12, Roberto Galoppini wrote:
> > > Few hours ago we went live with a countdown counter on Apache
> OpenOffice
> > > project page at SourceForge, check it out:
> > > https://sourceforge.net/projects/openofficeorg.mirror/
> > >
> > > This is a brand new feature we created for Apache OpenOffice 100 M
> mark,
> > > hope you'll like it!
> > >

> > Yes, I like it very much.
> >
> > Does the counter shows the count of all downloaded artefacts or only the
> > full-installation artefacts of released versions (3.4.0, 3.4.1, 4.0.0
> > and 4.0.1)?
> >
> > Best regards, Oliver.
> >
> > > Roberto
> > >

> Very nice! One little point. The Downloads served counter is dynamic - one
> can see it change for each download. The Weekly counter is static - surely
> that should also change?

The weekly counter is updated by a batch process every three hours. In
future we might work on applying those changes site-wide, for the time
being the countdown counter is just for AOO and that's why we have been
able to udpate it dinamically.

Roberto

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

On 15.04.2014 11:12, Roberto Galoppini wrote:
> Few hours ago we went live with a countdown counter on Apache OpenOffice
> project page at SourceForge, check it out:
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/openofficeorg.mirror/
>
> This is a brand new feature we created for Apache OpenOffice 100 M mark,
> hope you'll like it!

Yes, I like it very much.

Posted by Roberto Galoppini <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Roberto Galoppini <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Samer Mansour <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Samer Mansour <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Fwd: Close, but not quite 100 million...

Posted by Samer Mansour <sa...@gmail.com>.
Forwarding to marketing as well: its 100Mil not 1Mil.  updated the number :

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

On 04/14/2014 07:19 AM, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 14, 2014 at 10:03 AM, Samer Mansour <sa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Here we go: http://s28.postimg.org/nuwli5jd9/100_Mill_AOO140px.png
>>
>> Let me know what sizes we need, I can also rearrange to fit a less wide
>> format if needed.

Very celebratory! :) Nice!

> The current logo is 268px × 100px
>
> http://www.openoffice.org/images/AOO_logos/AOO4_website_logo.png
>
> I think we have flexibility to use more length.  There is plenty of
> space on the page for that.  For example, the International Mother
> Language Day doodle was 433px wide:
>
> http://www.openoffice.org/images/AOO_logos/IMLD_OO.png
>
> But I'm not sure how the page will accommodate a taller graphic.

We need to stay as close to 100px height maximum  to accommodate the
styling for the main "banner" line.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Samer Mansour <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Samer Mansour <sa...@gmail.com>.