Posted to user@velocity.apache.org by Jurica Viskovic <ju...@galiot.net> on 2006/03/09 10:37:23 UTC

Features

Hy.

I have a bit different question about velocity.
Velocity is great, simple and efficient and we have 2 projects
using velocity as view. I was wondering is there some workaround to
implement some new features in velocity or is there some work in progress
to implement those features.

New features:
    - accept macros with same name but different number of arguments
          #macro(img $src)
          #macro(img $src $properties)

    - passing macro arguments as (name=value) pair
          #img(src="/images/text.gif" properties="border=0")

If I can help with implementing this new features I will gladly do it.

Regards, jure

PS: i am using intelliJ IDEA and if someone has some plug-in for velocity or
      some syntax highlighter please send it to it will be of great help.

Re: Features

Posted by Jonathan Revusky <re...@wanadoo.es>.
Will Glass-Husain wrote:
> Hi Jurica,
>
> Sure, we'd welcome help to implement those features.

But Will, don't you guys have to have some kind of long philosophical
debate about the features first? IIRC, the one on decimal numbers lasted
for years.

I wasn't under the impression that you could just say "Let's do it" and
do it. Consensus, community,... the Apache Way...

I remind you of this in case it has slipped your mind. You really
shouldn't encourage somebody to implement whatever features if you're
then going to have your philosophical debate and decide that the new
features aren't actually desirable.

Jonathan Revusky
--
lead developer, FreeMarker project http://freemarker.org/