Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Kenneth Litwak <kl...@apu.edu> on 2011/01/31 19:36:19 UTC

Basic POM Error: "Project" not Start_tag or End-Tag

Hi,

  I am getting an error for the very first word in my POM.  I'm new to
trying to really understand Maven because I have to modify a POM to do
things together that I can't find a model for, Maven + Spring + web app.
I used my IDE, IDEA, to create a basic project including a POM but IDEA
is complaining about basic elements of the POM.

    The error on the very first word of the file is "Expected START_TAG
or END_TAG not TEST (position:  TEXT seen...</dependency>...<d...

I've used Maven before with a POM, and have no idea why this file has
errors in it.  Here is the entire thing.

  <modelVersion>4.0.0</modelVersion>
  <groupId>edu.apu.mvnspringwebapp</groupId>
  <artifactId>MvnSpringWebApp</artifactId>
  <packaging>war</packaging>
  <version>1.0</version>
  <name>MvnSpringWebApp</name>
  <url>http://maven.apache.org</url>
  <dependencies>
    <dependency>
        <groupId>org.springframework</groupId>
        <artifactId>spring-core</artifactId>
        <version>3.0.0.RELEASE</version>
    </dependency>
    <dependency>
      <groupId>org.springframework</groupId>
      <artifactId>spring-expression</artifactId>
      <version>3.0.0.RELEASE</version>
    </dependency>
    <dependency>
      <groupId>org.springframework</groupId>
      <artifactId>spring-beans</artifactId>
      <version>3.0.0.RELEASE</version>
    </dependency>
    <dependency>
      <groupId>org.springframework</groupId>
      <artifactId>spring-webmvc</artifactId>
      <version>3.0.0.RELEASE</version>
    </dependency>
    <dependency>
      <groupId>junit</groupId>
      <artifactId>junit</artifactId>
      <version>3.8.1</version>
      <scope>test</scope>
    </dependency>
    <dependency>
     <groupId>log4j</groupId>
     <artifactId>log4j</artifactId>
     <version>1.2.12</version>
     </dependency>
   - <dependency>
     <groupId>commons-logging</groupId>
     <version>1.0.4</version>
     </dependency>
   - <dependency>
     <groupId>apu-db</groupId>
     <artifactId>apu-db</artifactId>
     <version>SNAPSHOT</version>
     </dependency>
  </dependencies>
  <build>
    <finalName>MvnSpringWebApp</finalName>
  </build>
</project>

Everything here was either generated by IDEA or I got it from a tutorial
on Spring  or Maven.  Thanks.

Ken

Kenneth D. Litwak, Ph.D.
Azusa Pacific University
901 E. Alosta Ave.
Azusa, CA 91702

RE: Basic POM Error: "Project" not Start_tag or End-Tag

Posted by Kenneth Litwak <kl...@apu.edu>.
Ludwig,

 Thanks. Yes, that did it.

Ken

Kenneth D. Litwak, Ph.D.
Azusa Pacific University
901 E. Alosta Ave.
Azusa, CA 91702

Perhaps the "-" before and after the commons-logging dependency?

/Ludwig

Posted by Ludwig Magnusson <lu...@itcatapult.com>.