Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Patrick Ben Koetter <p...@state-of-mind.de> on 2004/09/17 16:45:19 UTC

Getting post-commit.tmpl to work with commit-mail.pl

I am trying to have post-commit.tmpl trigger commit-mail.pl to send
commit messages, but it won't work.

My setup:
+ The repository is accessed through svnserve
+ svnserve is called by xinetd

# cat /etc/xinetd.d/svnserve

service svnserve
{
        port            = 3690
        socket_type     = stream
        protocol        = tcp
        wait            = no
        user            = root
        disable         = no
        server          = /usr/bin/svnserve
        server_args     = -i -r /usr/local/svn
}

Repositories:
I have choosen to run separate repositories for my projects. All of them
are located under /usr/local/svn.

Testproject:
My testproject "project1":
Everything seems to work except for the hooks (or what they trigger).

Hooks:
In /usr/local/svn/project1/hooks/post-commit.tmpl I have:

------
REPOS="$1"
REV="$2"

/usr/bin/commit-email.pl "$REPOS" "$REV" p@state-of-mind.de
# log-commit.py --repository "$REPOS" --revision "$REV"
------

Permissions:
post-commit.tmpl has the following permissions:
-rwxrw-r--  1 svnadmin svn 1530 Sep 17 18:30 post-commit.tmpl

commit-email.pl has the following permissions:
$ ls /usr/bin/commit-email.pl
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 17443 Sep 15 02:17 /usr/bin/commit-email.pl

Testing:
post-commit.tmpl:
I can call ./post-commit.tmpl and it finds /usr/bin/commit-email.pl,
which will complain about "revision number `' must be an integer > 0."

This seems correct to me - I don't pass any "$REPOS" or "$REV, when I
call ./post-commit.tmpl.

/usr/bin/commit-email.pl:
If I call /usr/bin/commit-email.pl and give it all the information it
wants it works perfectly.

This is where I've got stuck. I tried different paths, because I thought
svnserve called with "-r /usr/local/svn" might cause it to be unable to
find any other paths before /usr/local/svn, but that didn't work.

Before I start fooling around I'd like to ask you on the list if there's
something obvious I am missing. Of course, I've read the Book, the FAQ
and searched the ML archives. Search engines didn't turn up anything
valuable either...

TIA

p@rick

Re: Getting post-commit.tmpl to work with commit-mail.pl

Posted by Patrick Ben Koetter <p...@state-of-mind.de>.
* Tobias Strasser <to...@gmail.com> [040917 18:51]:
> > Hooks:
> > In /usr/local/svn/project1/hooks/post-commit.tmpl I have:
>
> just rename the 'post-commit.tmpl' to 'post-commit' and everything
> should work fine.

Duh! 4 hours! god!
I'll rename it and then I'll go out in the garden and shoot myself ;)

Thanks.

Posted by Tobias Strasser <to...@gmail.com>.
> Hooks:
> In /usr/local/svn/project1/hooks/post-commit.tmpl I have:

just rename the 'post-commit.tmpl' to 'post-commit' and everything
should work fine.

cheers, tobi

Re: Getting post-commit.tmpl to work with commit-mail.pl

Posted by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net>.
Patrick Ben Koetter <p...@state-of-mind.de> writes:

> I am trying to have post-commit.tmpl trigger commit-mail.pl to send
> commit messages, but it won't work.

post-commit.tmpl is a template.  Rename that to post-commit.

Re: Getting post-commit.tmpl to work with commit-mail.pl

Posted by Jani Averbach <ja...@jaa.iki.fi>.
Rename it as post-commit.

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/svnbook-1.0/ch05s02.html#svn-ch-5-sect-2.1

BR, Jani

On 2004-09-17 18:45+0200, Patrick Ben Koetter wrote:
> I am trying to have post-commit.tmpl trigger commit-mail.pl to send
> commit messages, but it won't work.
>
> My setup:
> + The repository is accessed through svnserve
> + svnserve is called by xinetd
>
> # cat /etc/xinetd.d/svnserve
>
> service svnserve
> {
>         port            = 3690
>         socket_type     = stream
>         protocol        = tcp
>         wait            = no
>         user            = root
>         disable         = no
>         server          = /usr/bin/svnserve
>         server_args     = -i -r /usr/local/svn
> }
>

> Repositories:
> I have choosen to run separate repositories for my projects. All of them
> are located under /usr/local/svn.
>

> Testproject:
> My testproject "project1":
> Everything seems to work except for the hooks (or what they trigger).
>

> Hooks:
> In /usr/local/svn/project1/hooks/post-commit.tmpl I have:
>
> ------
> REPOS="$1"
> REV="$2"
>
> /usr/bin/commit-email.pl "$REPOS" "$REV" p@state-of-mind.de
> # log-commit.py --repository "$REPOS" --revision "$REV"
> ------
>

> Permissions:
> post-commit.tmpl has the following permissions:
> -rwxrw-r--  1 svnadmin svn 1530 Sep 17 18:30 post-commit.tmpl
>
> commit-email.pl has the following permissions:
> $ ls /usr/bin/commit-email.pl
> -rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 17443 Sep 15 02:17 /usr/bin/commit-email.pl
>

> Testing:
> post-commit.tmpl:
> I can call ./post-commit.tmpl and it finds /usr/bin/commit-email.pl,
> which will complain about "revision number `' must be an integer > 0."
>
> This seems correct to me - I don't pass any "$REPOS" or "$REV, when I
> call ./post-commit.tmpl.
>

> /usr/bin/commit-email.pl:
> If I call /usr/bin/commit-email.pl and give it all the information it
> wants it works perfectly.
>

> This is where I've got stuck. I tried different paths, because I thought
> svnserve called with "-r /usr/local/svn" might cause it to be unable to
> find any other paths before /usr/local/svn, but that didn't work.
>
> Before I start fooling around I'd like to ask you on the list if there's
> something obvious I am missing. Of course, I've read the Book, the FAQ
> and searched the ML archives. Search engines didn't turn up anything
> valuable either...
>
> TIA
>
> p@rick

Jani Averbach