Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Steve Muench <St...@oracle.com> on 2002/09/02 15:44:53 UTC

ANN: JDeveloper9i 9.0.3 w/ Struts, J2EE 1.3, et. al.

A quick announcement for any Struts users who might be using
(or might want to evaluate) Oracle's JDeveloper Java IDE.

We've just published a Developer's Preview of our new 9.0.3 major release
on our Oracle Technet website:

   http://otn.oracle.com/products/jdev/content.html

List of new features in this release is at:

   http://otn.oracle.com/products/jdev/htdocs/jdev903Preview_fo.html

Of particular interest to Struts developers are the following new features:

  -> Easily work with struts-config.xml settings

  -> Quickly create new actions and action forms

  -> Run/debug Struts apps in the embedded J2EE 1.3-compliant
     container for fast, no-deploy code/test/debug turnaround time

  -> Easily use Oracle's J2EE framework, Business Components for Java (BC4J),
     as the Model layer for your Struts application

  -> Auto-generate a fully-working Struts/JSP/BC4J database
     application using the new "Complete Struts-Based JSP App" wizard

Plus many other features of general interest to anyone doing Java/J2EE
development. Software is free to download and use, and $995 for a full
commercial license (which includes free use of the BC4J J2EE Framework).

For a quick overview of how the BC4J framework implements all of
the J2EE design patterns you normally have to write by hand, see:

   http://otn.oracle.com/products/jdev/htdocs/j2ee_bc4j.html

and an overview of how the framework implements collections of
Value Objects for you easily, see:

   http://otn.oracle.com/products/jdev/howtos/bc4j/bc4j-collections.html

Have fun.

Re: ANN: JDeveloper9i 9.0.3 w/ Struts, J2EE 1.3, et. al.

Posted by James Holmes <jh...@yahoo.com>.
Hey Steve,

Finally getting some time to take care of this.  Do
you have a number I can call you at so we can resolve
this quickly instead of going back and forth on email?

Thanks,

James

Posted by James Holmes <jh...@yahoo.com>.
Hey Steve,

Posted by Steve Muench <St...@oracle.com>.
| >I'm not that well-versed in Cloudscape, but I know we do
| >a lot of testing with Non-Oracle databases.
| >

| Did you make test on PostgreSQL,FireBird with BC4J ???

BC4J works with any reasonably-behaved SQL92 database with
a JDBC driver.

We regression test with Oracle and the latest production releases
of SQL*Server and DB2, and I know from answering questions in
our online forum that folks are using it with Postgres, MySQL,
Cloudbase, and others.

Here's a link to our "How To Page" where you'll find
articles on using Non-Oracle DB's with BC4J and on using
Non-Oracle J2EE servers with BC4J.

http://otn.oracle.com/products/jdev/howtos/content.html

Any JDev-specific questions not related to the Struts features
can be posted in the JDeveloper discussion forum at:

http://www.oracle.com/forums

Posted by dejan <de...@inet.hr>.

Posted by Vimal Kansal <vi...@yahoo.com>.
Sure.

Vimal
--- Steve Muench <St...@oracle.com> wrote:
> Vimal,
>
> Best if we take this offline to continue trying to
> narrow down the problem. Mail me.

> Steve Muench - Developer, Product Mgr, Java/XML
> Evangelist, Author
> Simplify J2EE and EJB Development with BC4J

http://otn.oracle.com/products/jdev/htdocs/j2ee_bc4j.html
> Building Oracle XML Apps,
> http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/orxmlapp

=== message truncated ===

Re: ANN: JDeveloper9i 9.0.3 w/ Struts, J2EE 1.3, et. al.

| I am still not able to get this one right, although I
| carried out all the steps in exactly the same manner
| as listed by you. when testing the connection,JDev
| says "success", but in navigator I see the tree like
| this :
|
|      - connection1
|        - (Default User)
|         - Synonyms
|         - Tables
|
| When I click on Tables, I see nothing. In SQL
| worksheet, if I type "select * From APP.NEW_TABLE1", I
| get jav.lang.NullPointer exception
|

| Thanks
|
| Vimal
| --- Steve Muench <St...@oracle.com> wrote:
| > The OTN discussion forums are at:
| >
| > http://www.oracle.com/forums
| >
| > The "JDeveloper" forum is the one for JDeveloper
| > questions.
| >
| > We don't support doing wizard-assisted
| > table-creation against
| > the Cloudscape database connection yet (just Oracle
| > for this
| > release), but the SQL Worksheet and DB explorer work
| > fine.
| >
| > I was able to
| >
| >    1. cloudscape -start (from my J2EE_HOME\bin
| > directory of JSDKEE1.3)
| >    2. Run CloudView and create a database named
| > "test"
| >       2.1 create a new table NEW_TABLE1
| >    3. Connect in JDev 9.0.3 and see the NEW_TABLE1
| > under the
| >       "APP" schema.
| >    4. Use the SQL worksheet in JDev 9.0.3 to insert
| > rows into
| >       NEW_TABLE1 and to select back the results.
| >
| > The driver class I used was:
| >
| > COM.cloudscape.core.RmiJdbcDriver
| >
| > and the connection URL was:
| >
| > jdbc:cloudscape:rmi://localhost:1099/test
| >

| __________________________________________________________________
| > Steve Muench - Developer, Product Mgr, Java/XML
| > Evangelist, Author
| > Simplify J2EE and EJB Development with BC4J
| >
| http://otn.oracle.com/products/jdev/htdocs/j2ee_bc4j.html
| > Building Oracle XML Apps,
| > http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/orxmlapp

| > |
| > | Tanks for or reply. Basically, what I have done is
| > | like this :
| > |
| > |   (1) First I register the neccessary .jar file
| > with
| > | the JDeveloper. This file has the Cloudscape the
| > | Cloudscape JDBC driver.
| > |
| > |    (2) Then I create a database connection using
| > the
| > | wizard in JDeveloper. I provide following 2
| > parameters
| > | :
| > |
| > |    driver class :
| > COM.cloudscape.core.RmiJdbcDriver
| > |    connection url :
| > | jdbc:cloudscape:rmi://localhost:1099/CloudscapeDB
| > |
| > | On the final step of the connection creation,
| > wizard
| > | allows you to test the connection. When I click on
| > the
| > | "Test" button, JDeveloper actually comes up with
| > the
| > | success and the connection is created. But now
| > when I
| > | go to the tree navigator and click on the newly
| > | created connection, although, I see items
| > | "synonyms","tables","views" listed, but these
| > | items,e.g., "tables" does not show any table etc
| > under
| > | it,whereas my database does hae the tables.
| > Moreoever,
| > | when I try creating some table using this
| > connection
| > | within JDeveloper, JDeveloper comes up with the
| > | message "JDeveloper can not create table using
| > this
| > | connection".
| > |
| > | Also please tell me which newsgroup on otn should
| > | send my questions for JDevloper, I will apreciate
| > if
| > | you could send me the link to the newsgroup.
| > |
| > | Thanks
| > |
| > | Vimal
| > know

| > having

| > light of
| > discussion

| > |

| __________________________________________________________________

| > |

| http://otn.oracle.com/products/jdev/htdocs/j2ee_bc4j.html

| > | > |
| > the
| > database
| > In
| > when I
| > tables
| > perform
| > through
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |

Posted by Vimal Kansal <vi...@yahoo.com>.
I am still not able to get this one right, although I
carried out all the steps in exactly the same manner
as listed by you. when testing the connection,JDev
says "success", but in navigator I see the tree like
this :

     - connection1
       - (Default User)
        - Synonyms
        - Tables

When I click on Tables, I see nothing. In SQL
worksheet, if I type "select * From APP.NEW_TABLE1", I
get jav.lang.NullPointer exception

Thanks

Vimal
--- Steve Muench <St...@oracle.com> wrote:
> The OTN discussion forums are at:
>
> http://www.oracle.com/forums
>
> The "JDeveloper" forum is the one for JDeveloper
> questions.
>
> We don't support doing wizard-assisted
> table-creation against
> the Cloudscape database connection yet (just Oracle
> for this
> release), but the SQL Worksheet and DB explorer work
> fine.
>
> I was able to
>
>    1. cloudscape -start (from my J2EE_HOME\bin
> directory of JSDKEE1.3)
>    2. Run CloudView and create a database named
> "test"
>       2.1 create a new table NEW_TABLE1
>    3. Connect in JDev 9.0.3 and see the NEW_TABLE1
> under the
>       "APP" schema.
>    4. Use the SQL worksheet in JDev 9.0.3 to insert
> rows into
>       NEW_TABLE1 and to select back the results.
>
> The driver class I used was:
>
> COM.cloudscape.core.RmiJdbcDriver
>
> and the connection URL was:
>
> jdbc:cloudscape:rmi://localhost:1099/test

> Steve Muench - Developer, Product Mgr, Java/XML
> Evangelist, Author
> Simplify J2EE and EJB Development with BC4J

http://otn.oracle.com/products/jdev/htdocs/j2ee_bc4j.html
> Building Oracle XML Apps,
> http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/orxmlapp

| > |
| > | I am great fan of JDeveloper and downloaded the
| > stuff.
| > | Whatever I have looked so far, looks awsome! I
| > have a
| > | small problem that I have a small problem that I
| > am
| > | not able to solve. I have configured, a database
| > | connection to connect to Cloudscape database. In
| > the
| > | wizard, connection test always passes. But when I
| > | click on the connection and try to see the tables
| > etc,
| > | I do not see anything. Moreover I can not perform
| > any
| > | operation like executing any sql statement through
| > | SQLWorksheet etc.
| > |
| > | Can you tell me what exactly I am doing wrong?
| > |
| > | Thanks
| > |
| > | Vimal