Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com> on 2006/01/23 12:34:04 UTC

[all][POLL] What JDK Version are you using?

What JDK version are you using?

---------------------
[ ] JDK 1.2
[ ] JDK 1.3
[ ] JDK 1.4
[ ] JDK 1.5 (or JDK 5)
---------------------

I'm mainly interested in the impact of moving Commons Valdator a
minimum dependency of JDK 1.4 to use the RegExp support rather than
depending on ORO. However, other commons components may be interested
in your answer, so it would be useful if you could indicate which
Commons components you are using (or interested in using), especially
Validator :-)

tia

Niall

Re: [POLL RESULT] What JDK Version are you using?

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
Thanks to everyone who responded to this, thought I would post back
the results for those interested. I asked this question on three
mailing lists, in the figures below "Dev" referes to the Commons Dev
maliling list, "User" to Commons User and "Struts" to the Struts User
mailing list.

51 people responded Dev(12), User(22) and Struts(17).

8 people use JDK 1.3 - Dev(3), User(4), Struts(1)
41 people use JDK 1.4 - Dev(10), User(17), Struts(14)
25 people use JDK 1.5 - Dev(6), User(12), Struts(7)

Before anyone points out that (8 + 41 + 25) is more than 51 - quite a
few people responded saying they used more than one version of the
JDK.

3 people indicated Websphere as the reason for JDK 1.3 and one person
said it was due to using older machines pre Mac OS 10.3.

The "minimum" JDK people said they used:

8 people use JDK 1.3 - Dev(3), User(4), Struts(1)
35 people use JDK 1.4 - Dev(7), User(15), Struts(13)
8 people use JDK 1.5 - Dev(2), User(3), Struts(3)

Of the 51 people 20 didn't indicate whether they used Commons
Validator, 11 said they didn't and 20 said they did. Of the 20 people
who do use validator - 4 are still using JDK 1.3, 12 are using JDK 1.4
and 4 using JDK 1.5

Thanks

Niall

Re: [all][POLL] What JDK Version are you using?

Posted by Steven Caswell <st...@gmail.com>.
On 1/23/06, Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com> wrote:
> What JDK version are you using?
>
> ---------------------
> [ ] JDK 1.2
> [ ] JDK 1.3
> [X ] JDK 1.4
> [ ] JDK 1.5 (or JDK 5)
> ---------------------
>
> I'm mainly interested in the impact of moving Commons Valdator a
> minimum dependency of JDK 1.4 to use the RegExp support rather than
> depending on ORO. However, other commons components may be interested
> in your answer, so it would be useful if you could indicate which
> Commons components you are using (or interested in using), especially
> Validator :-)
>
> tia
>
> Niall

commons-beanutils
commons-cli
commons-collections
commons-digester
coimmons-httpclient
commons-io
commons-lang
commons-logging
commons-validator (via Struts)

--
Steven Caswell
steven.caswell@gmail.com

(c) 404-693-4148
(o) 404-260-2382

Take back the web - http://www.mozilla.org

Re: [all][POLL] What JDK Version are you using?

Posted by Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org>.
Niall Pemberton wrote:
> What JDK version are you using?
>
> ---------------------
> [ ] JDK 1.2
> [X] JDK 1.3
> [X] JDK 1.4
> [X] JDK 1.5 (or JDK 5)
> ---------------------

lang, collections, configuration, io, codec, pool, dbcp, validator,
logging, digester, dbutils

I use Java 1.3 only for Struts applications deployed on WebSphere 4, but
most of the time I work with Java 1.4+.

Emmanuel Bourg

Re: [all][POLL] What JDK Version are you using?

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.
On 1/23/06, Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com> wrote:

> What JDK version are you using?
>
> ---------------------
> [ ] JDK 1.2
> [ ] JDK 1.3
> [X] JDK 1.4
> [X] JDK 1.5 (or JDK 5)
> ---------------------

BeanUtils, Chain, CLI, Codec, Collections, DBCP, Digester, Discovery,
FileUpload, HttpClient, IO, JXPath, Lang, Logging, Pool, Validator.

--
Martin Cooper

Posted by Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>.

> What JDK version are you using?
>
> ---------------------
> [ ] JDK 1.2
> [ ] JDK 1.3
> [ ] JDK 1.4
> [X] JDK 1.5 (or JDK 5)
> ---------------------

commons-beanutils.jar  commons-codec.jar
commons-digester.jar    commons-net.jar
commons-betwixt.jar    commons-collections.jar
commons-fileupload.jar  commons-validator.jar
commons-chain.jar      commons-compress.jar
commons-httpclient.jar  commons-vfs.jar
commons-cli.jar        commons-configuration.jar  commons-lang.jar

Ciao,
Mario

Re: [all][POLL] What JDK Version are you using?

Posted by Martin van den Bemt <ml...@mvdb.net>.

Niall Pemberton wrote:
> What JDK version are you using?
>
> ---------------------
> [ ] JDK 1.2
> [x] JDK 1.3
> [x] JDK 1.4
> [x] JDK 1.5 (or JDK 5)
> ---------------------

Although the project I use 1.3 for, I usually fork the commons classes to that project (since I
normally just needs 1 or 2).
I use directly or indirectly a lot of the commons packages btw.

Mvgr,
Martin

Re: [all][POLL] What JDK Version are you using?

Posted by Thomas Dudziak <to...@gmail.com>.
On 1/23/06, Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com> wrote:
> What JDK version are you using?
>
> ---------------------
> [ ] JDK 1.2
> [X] JDK 1.3
> [X] JDK 1.4
> [X] JDK 1.5 (or JDK 5)
> ---------------------

OJB uses (partly optional):

* beanutils
* betwixt
* collections
* dbcp
* digester
* lang
* logging
* pool
* transaction

and OJB has users that need to run on 1.3 (e.g. within Websphere), so
a transition to 1.4 (or 1.5) would be bad for them.
Btw, you should perhaps also extend the poll to the Struts user list.
Struts users utilizing validator probably have a similar 1.3 issue
with application servers.

Tom

Re: [all][POLL] What JDK Version are you using?

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
> What JDK version are you using?
>
> ---------------------
> [ ] JDK 1.2
> [ ] JDK 1.3
> [X] JDK 1.4
> [ ] JDK 1.5 (or JDK 5)
> ---------------------

Using the following...

beanutils
chain
digester
fileupload
io
logging
validator

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
On 1/24/06, David Graham <gr...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I code to the 1.4 API but deploy on 1.5 when possible.
>
> Moving off 1.3 is safe because:
> 1.  1.3 is not supported by Sun anymore.
>
> 2.  Struts requires 1.4 and Validator is primarily used by Struts folks.
> Sure there are some that use it standalone but the percentage of total
> users is miniscule.
>
> 3.  1.3 users will always have the older releases of Validator to use.
> They won't get the new features but they should be used to that since
> they're using Java 1.3.

I agree - I think we should probably have one more validator release
(1.2.1) for JDK 1.3 since I've fixed a few bugs recently and then move
to JDK 1.4

Niall

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
I agree with the points you make - the only thing I could think of was
this poll, unless we decided a policy of staying with JDK 1.3 until
its so old it doesn't matter.

Niall

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
On 1/23/06, Thomas Dudziak <to...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/23/06, Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org> wrote:
> > James Carman wrote:
> > > Struts is probably your biggest contributor of users, so that's a good sign
> > > for your 1.4 requirement.  However, I would still be cautious.  Not all
> > > users subscribe to the mailing lists.  I would doubt that it's a high
> > > percentage at all.
> >
> > Even if all users aren't subscribed it's likely to give a good sample of
> > the issues involved in jumping to a higher JDK.
> >
> > I bet the issue with old installations of WebSphere 4/5 will be the most
> > frequently reported...
>
> IMHO the only way around this is to create a branch for the old
> version (validator in this case) and maintain it for users forced to
> use 1.3. Maintain meaning backporting mainly the important bug fixes.

I agree that branching is a good idea and will do this if we move to
JDK 1.4 - the reality is though that active validator committers are
thin on the ground and the likelihood of me back porting is not high
since I don't have a need for JDK 1.3

Niall

Posted by Thomas Dudziak <to...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org>.

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Graham <gr...@yahoo.com>.
Niall,
I code to the 1.4 API but deploy on 1.5 when possible.

Moving off 1.3 is safe because:
1.  1.3 is not supported by Sun anymore.

2.  Struts requires 1.4 and Validator is primarily used by Struts folks.
Sure there are some that use it standalone but the percentage of total
users is miniscule.

3.  1.3 users will always have the older releases of Validator to use.
They won't get the new features but they should be used to that since
they're using Java 1.3.

David

--- Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com> wrote:

> What JDK version are you using?
>
> ---------------------
> [ ] JDK 1.2
> [ ] JDK 1.3
> [X] JDK 1.4
> [X] JDK 1.5 (or JDK 5)
> ---------------------
>
> I'm mainly interested in the impact of moving Commons Valdator a
> minimum dependency of JDK 1.4 to use the RegExp support rather than
> depending on ORO. However, other commons components may be interested
> in your answer, so it would be useful if you could indicate which
> Commons components you are using (or interested in using), especially
> Validator :-)
>
> tia
>
> Niall

Get Firefox!