Posted to dev@kibble.apache.org by Sean Busbey <bu...@apache.org> on 2017/11/01 21:29:27 UTC

heads up: trying out kibble to answer some hbase questions

hi folks!

I'm on the HBase PMC and looking to work out some answers about our community. Namely I'm trying to surface contributors that we should be looking at for committership.

Ideally I'd like to avoid writing anything, but a couple of hours with Snoot has me convinced that it can't answer my questions.

The current question I'm trying to answer is "who's doing reviews and are any of them not committers?" As a project, we don't have a rigorous process for marking reviewers on git commits (though we have a start). That means figuring this out requires looking at the ASF Reviewboard and the ASF JIRA for our project.

Snoot didn't work for this because it a) didn't appear to have a way to deduplicate contributors, b) didn't appear to have a way to flag and then filter contributors (e.g. "committer" so I can ignore folks who are already established in this case), c) didn't appear to surface _conversation_ participants on jira (only reporters and assignees at close), d) didn't appear to have reviewboard data at all, and e) required an annoying amount of repeated "I only care about [this one project]".

My first instinct is to get raw data sources (probably mailing list notifications) and then write some scripts to get me the heuristics I want. I'm trying to instead get some repeatable tools in place that other HBase PMC members could leverage and that I could use on other projects.

Normally, I'd try to do this in the Apache Yetus project under the topic of "contributor process tools". But it looks like Kibble might be a better fit. What do folks think?