Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Jonathan Hsieh <jo...@cloudera.com> on 2013/12/04 03:49:30 UTC

Re: [Shadow Regions / Read Replicas ] External replication disqualified?

The read replicas doc mentions something a little more intrusive in the "3
options" section but doesn't seem to disqualify it.

Relatedly just as another strawman, for the "mostly read only" use case and
"bulk load only" usecases, why not use normal replication against two
clusters in the same HDFS / datacenter and add a "bulk load replication"
feature?

We'd get latency in the seconds (closer to my expected definition of
eventual consistency)

Jon

Posted by Jonathan Hsieh <jo...@cloudera.com>.
A little delayed but more questions.

On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 10:41 PM, Devaraj Das <dd...@hortonworks.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 6:49 PM, Jonathan Hsieh <jo...@cloudera.com> wrote:
>
> > The read replicas doc mentions something a little more intrusive in the
> "3
> > options" section but doesn't seem to disqualify it.
> >

> I don't quite see what you are referring to actually... Can you please
> copy-paste a relevant line from the design doc.

Here.

Async WAL replication
This design will build on the region snapshots and current replication /
log replay features. This
does not necessitate a wal­per­region approach as with wal tailing. In this
design, the primary will
have a replication source for tailing it’s own log and a replication sink
for each secondary replica
that is alive. The edits will be replicated to the secondaries from the
async replication thread. In
that regard, this design resembles in­cluster replication, but also sharing
the same data files for
the region, instead of duplicating the data.Similar to wal tailing,
secondaries will have associated memstores, and will be replaying flushes
and compactions and bulk loads.
<<<<<

This option is described but It no negative tradeoffs mentioned.

>  > Relatedly just as another strawman, for the "mostly read only" use case
> and
> > "bulk load only" usecases, why not use normal replication against two
> > clusters in the same HDFS / datacenter and add a "bulk load replication"
> > feature?
> >

> We considered this and the issue is that the resource usage on the HDFS
> would be doubled (for the store files) for the two replica case.
>
> While the async wal replication method is describes the tradeoff, this
does not seem to be an absolutely terrible idea.  This can be done by folks
today and has nice perf isolation features.

Posted by Devaraj Das <dd...@hortonworks.com>.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE