Posted to dev@royale.apache.org by Carlos Rovira <ca...@apache.org> on 2018/03/27 09:56:57 UTC

typeNames in View

Hi,

just wondering why "View" has typenames="royale"
while Application is "Application or Group is "Group"
Why View is not "View"?

thanks!

--
Carlos Rovira
http://about.me/carlosrovira

Re: typeNames in View

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com.INVALID>.
Inline..

On 3/27/18, 2:06 PM, "carlos.rovira@gmail.com on behalf of Carlos Rovira"
<carlos.rovira@gmail.com on behalf of carlosrovira@apache.org> wrote:

>Thanks Alex,
>
>but for your description seems like I could put a Group or a Container as
>initalView, so I think View should have something more distinctive to make
>users use it instead of other aggregator.

View has an applicationModel property that Basic Application sets.  Basic
Application tries to present a world where the Application itself is not a
display object (even though it currently is on both SWF and JS).  And,
Basic Application sets up an MVC pattern.

If you look at the emulation of MX Application, it is set up totally
different.  We have to make the Application look like Flex application
where you can place UI widgets as children of the Application.

IOW, this is Royale, not Flex.  There is no "one right way" to do
anything.  There can be different Application classes.

>In the other hand, regarding Harbs comment, I agree that "royale" is more
>the Application (in html is the html "body") since to me the top level is
>Application not View,

Also consider that in Flex, the SWF was not the body of the HTML page that
loaded the player, but rather, an Object tag buried somewhere within.  I'm
not clear how folks will use custom HTML for Royale so I've been hesitant
to assign lots of styles to the Body.

>and I asume that you can have multiple views like in
>Flex Mobile, so this views will be swappable vía a navigator bar or
>similar
>(again like in flex mobile). I assume this is still not done in Royale,
>and
>we will do as we have some time to invest here, so for me a view seems
>more
>like a "piece" of the application, in other words: A view can be the login
>form in an application with two textfields, a login button, some links to
>remember password...etc... then this view will make the user goes to some
>other view with a menu or navigation bar that makes he/she able to switch
>to other views in application. For this reason View for me is one of the
>views, and typeNames="royale" seems not appropriate.

For now in Basic Application the initialView is not swappable.  Not sure
how a Mobile Application should work, but we do have a few mobile examples
today.  But I don't think we've put in finger gestures to change views.

I hadn't pictured the View being a temporary login for a Basic
Application.  I figured that was a popup or state.  In Mobile, we'll see.
And those might be a different kind of View.

>If you all agree we can change it a make View: typeNames = "View",
>although
>to make things coherent I'd left Application typeNames="Application"

I don't care too much what you call things.  I just want to make sure we
don't bake in an assumption or requirement we are sorry about later.

-Alex

Re: typeNames in View

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@apache.org>.
Thanks Alex,

but for your description seems like I could put a Group or a Container as a
initalView, so I think View should have something more distinctive to make
users use it instead of other aggregator.

In the other hand, regarding Harbs comment, I agree that "royale" is more
the Application (in html is the html "body") since to me the top level is
Application not View, and I asume that you can have multiple views like in

Re: typeNames in View

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@apache.org>.
Thanks Alex, Peter,

I don't see a problem with names with this classes...just that for me seems
there's much more, but maybe due to the fact problem with Flash...but in my
mind that should not be a problem and for me a refactor could be more to
collapse Container (remove it and put any functionality in Group or
something), so apart of "base" classes we came with Group and View.
Group could be like in flex light way to group various child, and view use
to be a bit more complex maybe with skin capabilities. Just thinking loud...

Maybe if there's plans to refactor, we can delay the typeNames refactor I
propose...is not critical, just seems something strange right now

thanks!

Re: typeNames in View

Posted by Peter Ent <pe...@adobe.com.INVALID>.

Re: typeNames in View

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com.INVALID>.

Re: typeNames in View

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.
View is generally the top level div in the app.

I do like having something as identifying the content as a royale app, although it could probably be on Application instead of View.

Harbs

Re: typeNames in View

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@apache.org>.

--