Posted to user@commons.apache.org by "Pingili, Madhupal" <MP...@BBandT.com> on 2004/06/21 22:17:16 UTC

[logging] Logging problems with log4j

Hello All,
I am new to this user list. I am using commons logging latest
version which uses log4j in a web application:

commons-logging.properties:

org.apache.commons.logging.Log=org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4JLogger

I have log4j.properties in the web app classpath i.e.
/WEB-INF/classes/log4j.properties.

When I deploy this web app on WebSphere 5.1, it looks like log4j is not
initializing at all.
It is not creating any log files for any log messages to be written.

Are there any known problems with commons-logging on WebSphere 5.1?

Any help is appreciated.

Reddy Pingili

Re: [logging] Logging problems with log4j

Posted by "David J. M. Karlsen" <da...@davidkarlsen.com>.
robert burrell donkin wrote:

That's because websphere5.1 uses commons-logging itself - try setting
your EAR to use PARENT_LAST classloading - so that the classes you
provide (and commons-logging.properties) are found first.

Kind regards,

David Karlsen

> hi
>
> i don't know of any particular problems with websphere 5.1 (does anyone
> else?) but classpath issues are common in containers. you might have
> more luck using an alternative configuration mechanism such as the jdk
> 1.3 jar service discovery mechanism.
>
> if you really want to use this commons-logging.properties file
> mechanism then it's possible that if websphere has a version of
> commons-logging in it's root classloader then you'll need to put it in
> the root. of course, if this is the case, you'll also need to drop in
> the newer jar over the older.
>
> - robert
>
> On 21 Jun 2004, at 21:17, Pingili, Madhupal wrote:
>
>> Hello All,
>> I am new to this user list. I am using commons logging latest
>> version which uses log4j in a web application:
>>
>> commons-logging.properties:
>>
>> org.apache.commons.logging.Log=org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4JLog
>> ger
>>
>> I have log4j.properties in the web app classpath i.e.
>> /WEB-INF/classes/log4j.properties.
>>
>> When I deploy this web app on WebSphere 5.1, it looks like log4j is not
>> initializing at all.
>> It is not creating any log files for any log messages to be written.
>>
>> Are there any known problems with commons-logging on WebSphere 5.1?
>>
>> Any help is appreciated.
>>

>> Reddy Pingili

David J. M. Karlsen - +47 90 68 22 43
http://www.davidkarlsen.com
http://mp3.davidkarlsen.com

Re: [logging] Logging problems with log4j

Posted by Tim Perkuhn <tp...@awi-bremerhaven.de>.
With the iPlanet Web Server 6.0 for example, property files are not
recognized. For every property i supply a classpath entry to the virtual
machine.

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
hi