Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Christian Schuhegger <Ch...@gmx.de> on 2005/01/20 13:15:58 UTC

bug in tomcat 5.5 and sticky sessions because of problem with jvmRoute parameter?

hello,

i've just tried to set-up tomcat 5.5 with apache2 and mod_jk version
1.2.8 in a load balancing set-up with sticky sessions.

when i give as jvmRoute parameter the string tc1 my sessionids look like:
BF20EF21CC52EA0659B1E079015D7B56.tc1.tc1
and i see in the mod_jk.log file that no worker with the name "tc1.tc1"
could be found!

i've circumvented the problem currently by "doubling" the name in the
workers.properties file as follows:
-- snip start --
worker.list=load

worker.load.type=lb
worker.load.balance_workers=tc1.tc1,tc2.tc2
worker.load.sticky_session=True

worker.tc1.tc1.port=12013
worker.tc1.tc1.host=localhost
worker.tc1.tc1.type=ajp13

worker.tc2.tc2.port=12013
worker.tc2.tc2.host=remote
worker.tc2.tc2.type=ajp13
-- snip end --

was this problem already noticed? did i do something wrong? or should i
file a bug report?

thanks,
--
Christian Schuhegger
http://www.el-chef.de/

Re: bug in tomcat 5.5 and sticky sessions because of problem with jvmRoute parameter?

Posted by Christian Schuhegger <Ch...@gmx.de>.
Mladen Turk wrote:
> Take a look at:
> http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/connectors-doc/config/workers.html
>
> It clearly states that (big warning in red color)
> The name of the worker can contain only the alphanumeric characters
> [a-z][A-Z][0-9] and is case insensitive.
>
> So tc1.tc1 is illegal name for the worker.
thanks for that hint, but actually luckily this is working.

the real problem is that the value that i specify for the jvmRoute is
"magically" doubled and i only doubled this name in the
workers.properties file as a short term workaround.

i still did not find out why this jvmRoute parameter is doubled in my
applications, but not in the servlets-examples/servlet/SessionExample
application.

Posted by Mladen Turk <ml...@jboss.com>.
Christian Schuhegger wrote:
> hello,
>
> i've just tried to set-up tomcat 5.5 with apache2 and mod_jk version
> 1.2.8 in a load balancing set-up with sticky sessions.
>
> when i give as jvmRoute parameter the string tc1 my sessionids look like:
> BF20EF21CC52EA0659B1E079015D7B56.tc1.tc1
> and i see in the mod_jk.log file that no worker with the name "tc1.tc1"
> could be found!

Hi,

Take a look at:
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/connectors-doc/config/workers.html

It clearly states that (big warning in red color)
The name of the worker can contain only the alphanumeric characters
[a-z][A-Z][0-9] and is case insensitive.

So tc1.tc1 is illegal name for the worker.

Mladen.

Re: bug in tomcat 5.5 and sticky sessions because of problem with jvmRoute parameter?

Posted by Christian Schuhegger <Ch...@gmx.de>.
Remy Maucherat wrote:
> - Added jvmRoute="tc1" on Engine
> - Accessed http://127.0.0.1:8080/servlets-examples/servlet/SessionExample
> - Session ID displayed is 8DBBCECBCAD078E18C07401A076734B0.tc1
i've just tried this example myself and you're right. i see only ".tc1".
i have a very little webapp which does similar things to test the
distributed set-up and a our main big application and both have the same
problem with this double "tc1.tc1".

i will try to find out why i have it in the one case but not in the
other? nevertheless i anybody experienced similar problems and found out
where the problem comes from i would be very happy to hear about it.

thanks,

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 13:15:58 +0100, Christian Schuhegger
<Ch...@gmx.de> wrote:
> hello,
>
> i've just tried to set-up tomcat 5.5 with apache2 and mod_jk version
> 1.2.8 in a load balancing set-up with sticky sessions.
>
> when i give as jvmRoute parameter the string tc1 my sessionids look like:
> BF20EF21CC52EA0659B1E079015D7B56.tc1.tc1
> and i see in the mod_jk.log file that no worker with the name "tc1.tc1"
> could be found!
>
> i've circumvented the problem currently by "doubling" the name in the
> workers.properties file as follows:
> -- snip start --
> worker.list=load
>
> worker.load.type=lb
> worker.load.balance_workers=tc1.tc1,tc2.tc2
> worker.load.sticky_session=True
>
> worker.tc1.tc1.port=12013
> worker.tc1.tc1.host=localhost
> worker.tc1.tc1.type=ajp13
>
> worker.tc2.tc2.port=12013
> worker.tc2.tc2.host=remote
> worker.tc2.tc2.type=ajp13
> -- snip end --
>
> was this problem already noticed? did i do something wrong? or should i
> file a bug report?

- Added jvmRoute="tc1" on Engine
- Accessed http://127.0.0.1:8080/servlets-examples/servlet/SessionExample
- Session ID displayed is 8DBBCECBCAD078E18C07401A076734B0.tc1

--
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Rémy Maucherat