Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by "Ignacio J. Ortega" <na...@siapi.es> on 2001/02/21 15:16:51 UTC

RE: TC3.3: Profiles

Hola a todos, Costin:

> lib/common -> jars shared by container and all
> webapplications ( similar
> with the global CLASSPATH ). ( tomcat-core.jar )

Now ( i do saw today's CVS changes perhaps i'm out of date ) common only
need to contain servlet.jar, what do oyu think will be on
tomcat-core.jar?? i think in classloaders more in a tree ( as archives
directories ) of dependant classloaders.., and common will contnue to be
*root* classloader ?

> lib/container -> modules and jars used by modules ( including
> jaxp.jar,
> etc)

Now it's on lib itself , right? if so +1

> lib/webapps -> jars shared by all web apps ( minimal set )
>
> lib/webapps/foo -> jars specific to each group of web applications
> lib/container/foo -> modules specific to a group of web applications

+1 good idea..

> I am also proposing few changes in the jar structure:
> - tomcat.utils: move all the top level "org.apache.tomcat.utils" in
> specific packages ( require changes in import lines ).

+1

> - Split tomcat-utils in few components.
>
> - jasper.jar will be separated in jasper-runtime.jar and jasper.jar
> ( to follow the general structure of tomcat, jasper.jar will
> contain the
> translator, jasper-runtime will be similar with facade.jar )

+1, i will assume this work, if ti has no volunteers already..

> Costin

Saludos ,
Ignacio J. Ortega

RE: TC3.3: Profiles

Posted by cm...@yahoo.com.
> Hola a todos, Costin:
>

> > lib/common -> jars shared by container and all
> > webapplications ( similar
> > with the global CLASSPATH ). ( tomcat-core.jar )
> >

> Now ( i do saw today's CVS changes perhaps i'm out of date ) common only
> need to contain servlet.jar, what do oyu think will be on
> tomcat-core.jar?? i think in classloaders more in a tree ( as archives
> directories ) of dependant classloaders.., and common will contnue to be
> *root* classloader ?

I haven't changed anything yet - I was waiting for your opinion ( and my
DSL was broken ).

I suppose common should remain the root classloader. I don't know if core
should be in lib/common or lib/container - but we may benefit by having it
in common ( only org.apache.tomcat.core and the 2-3 util packages that it
uses - MessageBytes, etc ).

That's the last problem to solve - most of the work on "profiles" is
related with easy configuration.

Right now I'm trying to identify all dependencies and remove some wrong
deps I put in core.

> > I am also proposing few changes in the jar structure:
> > - tomcat.utils: move all the top level "org.apache.tomcat.utils" in
> > specific packages ( require changes in import lines ).
> >

> +1

1/2 done :-)

> > - Split tomcat-utils in few components.
> >
> > - jasper.jar will be separated in jasper-runtime.jar and jasper.jar
> > ( to follow the general structure of tomcat, jasper.jar will
> > contain the
> > translator, jasper-runtime will be similar with facade.jar )
> >

> +1, i will assume this work, if ti has no volunteers already..

Great. Are you talking about the last point or the whole proposal ? :-)

--
Costin