Posted to dev@jspwiki.apache.org by Janne Jalkanen <Ja...@ecyrd.com> on 2008/07/01 21:20:50 UTC

JSPWiki API first proposal in SVN

Folks,

I drafted some Java code for the JSPWiki API.  You can check it out
from SVN (or browse) at http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/
jspwiki/api/

Feel free to comment and bang at it - it's supposed to be "the stable
API".

I essentially just took some of the most core extension classes that
we have, and created a new api package.  I know there's a lot
missing, and there's also some extra crud that shouldn't be there.
We'll also have to think about the integration to JCR and Stripes -
but if possible, I think those dependencies should be kept to a
minimum.  Currently there are no extra libraries referenced in the
API classes, which I think is great - but obviously it would be
really nice for a developer to gain access to those classes as well.

I also started of with only the most common usecases, and forgot
about authentication and URL construction and rendering for a while.

This is in NO way final.  The design goals are to give an easy,
recognizable, easily portable API (hopefully with just a package
change when compared to old versions) to JSPWiki with as few external
(=non-JDK) dependencies as possible.  Especially I would like to hear
from guys like Murray who've been poking at the plugin interface far
more extensively, what they would like to see, and whether this
proposal is going to the right direction.

/Janne

Re: JSPWiki API first proposal in SVN

Posted by Janne Jalkanen <Ja...@ecyrd.com>.
Hi!

I didn't much think of the organization, I just needed a place to
share the stuff where it wouldn't mess up the current org.

I think it's a good idea to move the current structure to /legacy/
or /import/ once we get 2.8 out and start working on 3.0 and make the
transition.  I would imagine that in that case the .api package would
move under /trunk (with a special ant task to build the jspwiki-
api.jar).  Perhaps /trunk/src/api/ or /trunk/src/

Oops, forgot the licenses.  Will add them, thanks!

/Janne

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Janne,

Posted by Janne Jalkanen <Ja...@ecyrd.com>.
> Just an FYI, I'll be in conference meetings for the next day and a
> half (ugh) so I won't be able to look into this until Friday, but
> will then.

No worries, I would expect this to be a relatively lengthy process
anyway.

Posted by Murray Altheim <mu...@altheim.com>.
Janne Jalkanen wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I drafted some Java code for the JSPWiki API.  You can check it out from
> SVN (or browse) at http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/jspwiki/api/

Janne,

Just an FYI, I'll be in conference meetings for the next day and a
half (ugh) so I won't be able to look into this until Friday, but
will then.

Murray

                                       -- The Blue Cliff Record