Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by James Cowan <ja...@googlemail.com> on 2012/03/09 17:08:52 UTC

Maven and Flex 4.6

Hi

what is the situation with maven and flex 4.6?

I posted this message on the Adobe forum and got directed here:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4246042#4246042

As far as I can tell, Flex SDK 4.6 is now installed in the Sonatype repo
here:

https://repository.sonatype.org/content/groups/flexgroup/com/adobe/flex/framework/playerglobal/4.6.b.23201/

The flexmojos plugin is wired to use SDK 4.5.1.21328, but it does work
with 4.6.0.23201B if you change a few of the poms
and recompile.

James

Re: Maven and Flex 4.6

Posted by Conrad Winchester <co...@chiwestern.com>.
Here's how to create a mavenised flex sdk

https://github.com/piercer/flex_sdk_maven_install

RE: Maven and Flex 4.6

Posted by "Skogen, Espen" <es...@jpmorgan.com>.
Sure, but Flexmojos does a perfectly fine job at building Flex in a Maven environment. I suppose if Marvin decided to abandon it, then there would be an argument for bringing it into the fold, but I don't see a reason to reinvent the wheel. Just use Flexmojos if you want to use Maven - That's certainly what I'm doing:)

Posted by James Cowan <ja...@googlemail.com>.
HI Espen

RE: Maven and Flex 4.6

Re: Maven and Flex 4.6

Posted by Keith Sutton <ke...@spoon.as>.
I my last months at Adobe I worked with Marvin and the Flex release
engineers on releasing a 'maven-ized' SDK release, at the time (Nov) it
was really close to being done. Not sure what the ultimate fate of that
was. There were plans to do this and improve Maven integration in Flash
Builder which Marvin was collaborating on but that has gone by the
wayside given events.

Marvin has been struggling on a number of fronts for years, 1) is trying
to develop a business around one of the most downloaded open source Flex
projects (which he was beginning to get off the ground up to November),
and 2) getting people to contribute code and not just complaints into
flexmojos.

I have been in touch with Marvin since November and he is interested in
continuing to some degree but just can't do it on his own. Given the
events since Nov it is not surprising he would reconsider his future
however given the value provided by flexmojos to so many
people/organizations it would be a shame not to see it continue forward.

Re: Maven and Flex 4.6

Posted by Martin Heidegger <mh...@leichtgewicht.at>.

Re: Maven and Flex 4.6

Posted by Greg Reddin <gr...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 1:38 PM, Martin Heidegger <mh...@leichtgewicht.at> wrote:
> I think the issue is that Marvin Froeder is not interested in contribution
> the mojos to flex.

Do we know that or has that discussion occurred?

> @Mentor: What are the rules to branching other Open source projects to
> Apache Projects?

We don't like to fork a project if the current project community is
unwilling. I suppose we have a legal right to do it, but we prefer to
respect the wishes of the other community.

Greg

Re: Maven and Flex 4.6

Posted by Martin Heidegger <mh...@leichtgewicht.at>.
On 10/03/2012 04:38, Martin Heidegger wrote:
> On 10/03/2012 03:04, James Cowan wrote:
>> Can Apache Flex not invite Marvin Froeder (the Flex mojos author) to
>> join Apache?
>>
>> Is flexmojos license the issue? Can JP Morgan lob some funding over
>> to Marvin Froeder :-)
>>
>> James
> I think the issue is that Marvin Froeder is not interested in
> contribution the mojos to flex.
>
> However: Generally speaking: The Flex mojos are licensed under APL 2.0
> this means that any
> contributor could theoretically fork the mojos and add it to the flex
> sdk. Opensource and stuff.
>
> @Mentor: What are the rules to branching other Open source projects to
> Apache Projects?
>
> yours
> Martin.
And then on another thought: the development of FlexMojos is open at
github. Anyone interested
can already commit there ... there would be no value to host it on Apache ?!

yours
Martin.

Re: Maven and Flex 4.6

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 3/9/12 11:56 AM, "James Cowan" <ja...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> The license is GPL on the flexmojos site.

That will probably make things even more difficult.

The basic state of the world is that Adobe is not going to provide Maven
support for Adobe versions of Flex.

Apache Flex is supposed to create a release of Flex that is compatible with
Adobe Flex 4.6 and then make improvements from there.  Lots of folks in
Apache Flex are planning to make the Apache Flex releases work with Maven.
I'm still hoping the 4.6 parity release will happen in the March although I
imagine the Maven work will take much longer.

Whether we somehow get FlexMojos donated to Apache (which I doubt) or create
or own integration from scratch, the goal is to figure out what it takes to
make Apache Flex releases work with Maven.  Should it really be a lot of
code to make it work?

There doesn't seem to be enough folks who want to use Maven to build the
Flex SDK so I don't see that happening.  Ant will be the official way to
build the SDK in the near future.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

Re: Maven and Flex 4.6

Posted by James Cowan <ja...@googlemail.com>.
  On 09/03/2012 19:38, Martin Heidegger wrote:
> On 10/03/2012 03:04, James Cowan wrote:
>> Can Apache Flex not invite Marvin Froeder (the Flex mojos author) to
>> join Apache?
>>
>> Is flexmojos license the issue? Can JP Morgan lob some funding over
>> to Marvin Froeder :-)
>>
>> James
> I think the issue is that Marvin Froeder is not interested in
> contribution the mojos to flex.
>
> However: Generally speaking: The Flex mojos are licensed under APL 2.0
> this means that any
> contributor could theoretically fork the mojos and add it to the flex
> sdk. Opensource and stuff.
>
> @Mentor: What are the rules to branching other Open source projects to
> Apache Projects?
>
> yours
> Martin.

The license is GPL on the flexmojos site.

I imagine that is because Marvin has worked on it for many years and
never been funded - I know he is working on a licensed
version FME (for mobiles) - making a living as an open source developer
is very tough unless you are funded.

Re: Maven and Flex 4.6

Posted by Martin Heidegger <mh...@leichtgewicht.at>.

Re: Maven and Flex 4.6