Posted to user@spark.apache.org by algermissen1971 <al...@icloud.com> on 2015/07/20 16:37:10 UTC

Joda Time best practice?

Hi,

I am having trouble with Joda Time in a Spark application and saw by now that I am not the only one (generally seems to have to do with serialization and internal caches of the Joda Time objects).

Is there a known best practice to work around these issues?

Jan

Re: Joda Time best practice?

Posted by algermissen1971 <al...@icloud.com>.
On 20 Jul 2015, at 23:20, Harish Butani <rh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Can you post details on how to reproduce the NPE

Essentially it is like this:

I have a scala case class that contains a Joda DateTime attribute and instances of this class are updated using updateStateByKey. When a certain condition is reached the instances are turned to Json (using spray.json) and are stored in ElasticSearch. just before creating the JSON I call getYear on the date attribute and that fails with NPE.

When insert a getMillis or toString right before the getYear these work just fine.

Jan

Re: Joda Time best practice?

Posted by Harish Butani <rh...@gmail.com>.
Can you post details on how to reproduce the NPE

On Mon, Jul 20, 2015 at 1:19 PM, algermissen1971 <algermissen1971@icloud.com

Re: Joda Time best practice?

Posted by algermissen1971 <al...@icloud.com>.
Hi Harish,