Posted to dev@esme.apache.org by Ethan Jewett <es...@gmail.com> on 2010/08/31 08:44:22 UTC

ESME-267 - Pooled links in popular links list

[Changed subject to start a new thread. Was: "New issues - a couple of
blockers for 1.1 release"]

That's correct. The "Popular messages" functionality just keeps a
counter of how many times a message has been resent. If you look at
the UserActor.scala, lines 197 & 198, you'll see that the statistic
"ResendStat" is incremented when a message is resent, but only if the
message is not in a pool. Then when we want to find out what the most
popular messages are, we ask the PopStatsActor - for example in the
"popular" method of UserSnip.scala - line 213.

On the other hand, the "LinkClicked is incremented in UrlStore.scala -
line 40. Here there is never a check to see if the link came from a
message in a pool. (This counter is used in the "links" method in
UserSnip.scala, after the "popular" method.)

I think we need to check if a link came from a pool before
incrementing the counter, but in order to do this we need to record
what pool a link belonged to, so I think we need to make pool part of
the key of the UrlStore object and then populate this field when a new
link is created.

Ethan

Re: ESME-267 - Pooled links in popular links list

Posted by Imtiaz Ahmed H E <in...@gmail.com>.
If 'Popular Messages' come only from the 'public' pool then 'Popular Links'
should also come from links found only in messages from the 'public' pool.

It shouldn't be a big deal to determine whether a message comes from the
'public' pool when a link within it is clicked.

Or am I being too simple for Esme here...

Let me know.

Imtiaz

Re: Fw: ESME - 266 - my fix in progress, hopefully...

Posted by Imtiaz Ahmed H E <in...@gmail.com>.
Sorry, I posted the mail in the wrong thread. I have now changed the subject
line.

My concern is, "feed link got thro' right-click on RSS icon at bottom of
nytimes.com and "copy link location" in windows context menu and paste" into
say, FeedReader (perhaps any other feed reader app too) sets up the feed
correctly.

So, should we handle this in Esme too... CAN WE ? Should I?

By the way what about the Twitter problem in the mail I sent along with the
nytimes proble (see below).

Imtiaz

Posted by Vassil Dichev <vd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Vassil Dichev <vd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Richard Hirsch <hi...@gmail.com>.
Sounds like a god idea.

Posted by Vassil Dichev <vd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Richard Hirsch <hi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ethan Jewett <es...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Richard Hirsch <hi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ethan Jewett <es...@gmail.com>.
Hi Vassil,

Assuming we have a problem (it sounds to me like this is up for
debate), I think a reasonable solution that doesn't reduce
functionality or defeat the purpose of short-links is to modify the
URL store to keep short-links found in public messages separate from
short-links found in pools. We could do this be adding a mapped
boolean flag attribute to the UrlStore class. We could also separate
short-links by pool, as you suggest, by storing the pool as an
attribute of the UrlStore class.

Either way we could make it so that clicks on links from pools don't
increment the counter, so links found only in pools will never appear
in the "Popular links" list.

What do you think? Are we going to run into problems with that? Will
this break any other functionality?

Ethan

Posted by Vassil Dichev <vd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ethan Jewett <es...@gmail.com>.