Posted to user@struts.apache.org by otisg <ot...@ureach.com> on 2003/05/20 19:13:36 UTC

Map of Beans and html:options - problem

Hello,

I am having trouble using <html:select> and <html:options> with
a Map (TreeMap) of Java Beans.  I am using a recent 1.1RC1 from
maybe a month ago.

In my Action class I stick a Map into a request:

  request.setAttribute("gradeMap, myMap);

This Map has Longs for keys and instances of my Java Bean class
'Grade' as values.

My 'Grade' Java Bean has a public getName() method and also
inherits a public getID() method from its parent class.

In my JSP I am trying to render this Map in the pull-down menu:

                  property="ID"
                  labelProperty="name"/>

This gives me the following error:

No getter method available for property ID for bean under name
gradeMap' javax.servlet.jsp.JspException: No getter method
available for property ID

Any idea why?

For sanity, I looped through the Map to ensure the contents is
correct:

  for (java.util.Iterator iter = gMap.entrySet().iterator();
iter.hasNext(); )
  {
    java.util.Map.Entry me = (java.util.Map.Entry) iter.next();
    Long key = (Long) me.getKey();
    Grade g = (Grade) me.getValue();
    System.out.println("G ID: " + g.getID());
    System.out.println("G NAME: " + g.getName());
  }

Am I using <html:select> and <html:options> incorrectly?

Thanks,
Otis

Re: Map of Beans and html:options - problem

Posted by Caroline Holanda <sp...@yahoo.com>.
 I guess it is related to JavaBeans properties rules.
Their identifier should start with lower case. So,
your "ID" property should be changed to "id".

 Caroline

 --- otisg <ot...@ureach.com> escreveu: > Hello,

> I am having trouble using <html:select> and
> a Map (TreeMap) of Java Beans.  I am using a recent
> 1.1RC1 from
> maybe a month ago.
>
> In my Action class I stick a Map into a request:
>
>   request.setAttribute("gradeMap, myMap);
>
> This Map has Longs for keys and instances of my Java
> Bean class
> 'Grade' as values.
>
> My 'Grade' Java Bean has a public getName() method
> and also
> inherits a public getID() method from its parent
> class.
>
> In my JSP I am trying to render this Map in the
> pull-down menu:

>                   property="ID"
>                   labelProperty="name"/>
>

> This gives me the following error:
>
> No getter method available for property ID for bean
> under name
> gradeMap' javax.servlet.jsp.JspException: No getter
> method
> available for property ID
>
> Any idea why?
>
> For sanity, I looped through the Map to ensure the
> contents is
> correct:
>
>   for (java.util.Iterator iter =
> gMap.entrySet().iterator();
> iter.hasNext(); )
>   {
>     java.util.Map.Entry me = (java.util.Map.Entry)
> iter.next();
>     Long key = (Long) me.getKey();
>     Grade g = (Grade) me.getValue();
>     System.out.println("G ID: " + g.getID());
>     System.out.println("G NAME: " + g.getName());
>   }
>
> Am I using <html:select> and <html:options>
> incorrectly?
>
> Thanks,
> Otis

> For additional commands, e-mail: