Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Charles Villa <CV...@tekscan.com> on 2008/03/24 23:00:09 UTC

Newbie help

I'm sure this question has been asked thousands of times, but after reading the faqs and the book I'm still not clear.

It seems that common convention is to use the subdirectrories, trunk, branches and tags.  What I'm confused is where to put the first import?  The examples show it going into repos/project, not repos/project/trunk.  I think I should not be placing anything in the project's root if I am using the subdirectory layout, but I'd like to be sure.

Also, what are people's views with multiple projects?  I'm trying to decide between one repository per project and multiple projects per repository.  Do you generally find the global revision number bump more irritating than having to do svnadmin to create a new repo?

Thanks,
Charles Villa

Re: Newbie help

Posted by Bill Guindon <ag...@gmail.com>.
On 3/24/08, Charles Villa <CV...@tekscan.com> wrote:
> I'm sure this question has been asked thousands of times, but after reading the faqs and the book I'm still not clear.
>
>  It seems that common convention is to use the subdirectrories, trunk, branches and tags.  What I'm confused is where to put the first import?  The examples show it going into repos/project, not repos/project/trunk.  I think I should not be placing anything in the project's root if I am using the subdirectory layout, but I'd like to be sure.

Your gut reaction is right, it belongs in trunk.

>  Also, what are people's views with multiple projects?  I'm trying to decide between one repository per project and multiple projects per repository.  Do you generally find the global revision number bump more irritating than having to do svnadmin to create a new repo?

Personally, I don't care about the revision bump, so I do multiple
projects in a single repository.

In case you haven't come across it, I'll plug a good book for newbies:
http://www.pragprog.com/titles/svn2 (available as a pdf for $22).

>  Thanks,
>  Charles Villa

Bill Guindon (aka aGorilla)
The best answer to most questions is "it depends".

Re: Newbie help

Posted by Sohail Somani <so...@taggedtype.net>.
On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 19:00:09 -0400, Charles Villa wrote:

>  Do you generally find the global revision number bump more
> irritating than having to do svnadmin to create a new repo?

Don't forget about hook maintenance. And vendor drops. Vendor drops are
particularly annoying when you have multiple repositories because chances
are, you'll use the vendor code in more than one project. I've got a
product I developed that handled all this stuff but it isn't beneficial
for me to sell and support it at the moment :-)

I think if you don't have dedicated resources, stick to one repository if
you have to do one or both of the above.

--
Sohail Somani
http://uint32t.blogspot.com

Re: Newbie help