Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Rene Lehmann <RL...@timocom.com> on 2011/09/01 10:36:29 UTC

Solr Replication / Repeater

Hi there,

i´m really new in Solr and have a question about the Solr replication.
We want to use Solr in two data centers (dedicated fibre channel lane, like
intranet) behind a load balancer. Is the following infrastructure possible?

- one repeater and one slave per data center
- the repeaters used to each other for replication
- the slaves uses the local repeater for replication

Such a construction is possible? Or do I need a pure master server?

kind regards,

Rene

Re: Solr Replication / Repeater

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
It looks good except for the "repeaters used to each other for replication".
Having the masters use each other for replication implies that you're
indexing data to both of them, in which case you wouldn't need them to
update from each other!

So you really have two choices I think
1> designate one indexing as the master and just have a repeater in
the other data center.
    all the slaves in a data center use the local master as a source.
or
2> index your data to both masters and then the masters don't know
about each other.

Of the two, I like <1> best but there are arguments either way.

Best
Erick