Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by David Nelson <ga...@yahoo.com> on 2002/04/08 20:44:24 UTC

take23.org 500 internal server error (probably OT)

Hello all,

Thanks to everyone for helping promote open source!
What a great feeling it is to be a part of this
movement.  http://www.take23.org is down due to an
internal server error at the moment.  If anyone knows
who maintains this and can email them, they'd probably
appreciate it.  Sorry if this is very off topic.

Since I'm posting, I'll share one more quick question.
 Does anyone know how to license software as GPL but
have it only be able to be used by non-profit
companies?  I'm writing an OO Perl / mod_perl based
'click to donate' management software package, but I
don't want it to be used by people/companies seeking
to profit from it.  The goal of the software is to let
people run their own 'click to save rainforest',
'click to feed the hungry' etc.

Thanks for any advice you all have on this.

peace,
David

http://taxes.yahoo.com/

Re: take23.org 500 internal server error (probably OT)

Posted by Luciano Miguel Ferreira Rocha <st...@nsk.yi.org>.
On Mon, Apr 08, 2002 at 11:44:24AM -0700, David Nelson wrote:
> Since I'm posting, I'll share one more quick question.
>  Does anyone know how to license software as GPL but
> have it only be able to be used by non-profit
> companies?
Then you can't use GPL. GPL isn't against people making money of software,
but against people depriving the users from their rights to change and
distribute the software. OSI's "OpenSource" also isn't against people
making money, and one rule that OpenSource licences must abide is
indiscrimination against people using the software for money.

You'll have to make your own licence, then.

Regards,
Luciano Rocha

--
Luciano Rocha, strange@nsk.yi.org

The trouble with computers is that they do what you tell them, not what
you want.
                -- D. Cohen

Re: take23.org 500 internal server error (probably OT)

Posted by Matt Sergeant <ma...@sergeant.org>.
On Monday 08 April 2002 7:44 pm, David Nelson wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Thanks to everyone for helping promote open source!
> What a great feeling it is to be a part of this
> movement.  http://www.take23.org is down due to an
> internal server error at the moment.  If anyone knows
> who maintains this and can email them, they'd probably
> appreciate it.  Sorry if this is very off topic.

Fixed. Thanks for the heads-up.

Try the Aladdin Public license. This is what pdflib (www.pdflib.com) uses.

--
<:->get a SMart net</:->