Posted to dev@curator.apache.org by Jordan Zimmerman <ra...@apache.org> on 2014/01/28 18:49:05 UTC

Need help

Curator needs more active committers. Please don't take this as a complaint
against the current committers, I realize that everyone has other
priorities. This email is meant to open a discussion on how to get more
active committers for Curator so that it doesn't totally rely on me. I've
been extremely busy lately and haven't had much time for OSS projects. The
good news is that there are a lot of great patches coming in. But, that
still means I have to manage them.

I'd appreciate any thoughts.

-Jordan

Re: Need help

Posted by Robert Hodges <ro...@continuent.com>.
Hi Jordan,

What sort of automated tests are available for Curator?  We are using Curator in a prototype capacity which I hope will go forward later in the year.  In that case my company Continuent could potentially help.   We do a lot of Java development on distributed systems.  No promises obviously, just figuring out how to contribute if we get deeply involved in Curator.

Cheers, Robert Hodges
http://scale-out-blog.blogspot.com

Re: Need help

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 3:52 PM, Enis Söztutar <en...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I would also add a couple of things:
>
> - General evangelism about the project for increasing user / developer
> interest. Submit talks to apachecon, blog post, cross-post to zk mailing
> lists, etc.
> - Create a label for "newbie" issues, and mention this in "How to start
> Curator development" page. Add a link to the jira search for the issues
> labeled "newbie". In HBase, this proved useful to referring newcomers a
> list of smaller issues to pick from.
> - If an apache project depends on Curator as a vital component, then the
> developers there will begin to report bugs or add new features that is
> required for them.
>
> Enis
>

> On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 9:19 AM, Luciano Resende <luckbr1975@gmail.com
> >wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 9:49 AM, Jordan Zimmerman <randgalt@apache.org
> > >wrote:
> >
> > > Curator needs more active committers. Please don't take this as a
> > complaint
> > > against the current committers, I realize that everyone has other
> > > priorities. This email is meant to open a discussion on how to get more
> > > active committers for Curator so that it doesn't totally rely on me.
> I've
> > > been extremely busy lately and haven't had much time for OSS projects.
> > The
> > > good news is that there are a lot of great patches coming in. But, that
> > > still means I have to manage them.
> > >
> > > I'd appreciate any thoughts.
> > >
> > > -Jordan
> > >

> > 1) Mentor the folks providing patches to become committers
> > 2) Work on a roadmap on the dev list, leave open jiras for roadmap tasks
> > 3) Encourage others to respond to dev list questions (by not jumping to
> it
> > very quickly as well)

All good points indeed, another item to consider is participation in
ApacheCon, met ups (e.g. together with Zookeeper), and other community
activities such as Google Summer of Code.

Re: Need help

Posted by Enis Söztutar <en...@gmail.com>.

Re: Need help

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.