Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Kevin A <k4...@gmail.com> on 2016/06/09 17:27:22 UTC

Question about heterogeneous brokers in a cluster

Hi there,

I have a couple of Kafka brokers and thinking about adding a few more. The
new broker machines would have a lot more storage available to them than
the existing brokers. Am I setting myself up for operational headaches by
deploying a heterogeneous (in terms of storage capacity) cluster?

(Asked on IRC but thought I'd try here too.)

Thanks!
-Kevin

Re: Question about heterogeneous brokers in a cluster

Posted by Kevin A <k4...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Alex and Todd, I really appreciate the insights.

Based on what you've shared: spending more time up-front to homogenize the
nodes reduces some cognitive load for day-to-day support. Keeping things
simple generally wins me over.

Thanks again.

-Kevin

Posted by Todd Palino <tp...@gmail.com>.