Posted to users@camel.apache.org by "Preben.Asmussen" <pr...@dr.dk> on 2015/09/16 19:57:28 UTC

Re: Using Camel in large project (300 Applications to integrate)

Hi Nick

We had kind of similar decisions to do some years ago, so my answers are
based on our experience.

Q1 : Yes camel is a very versatile library that helps you accomplish just
about  any problem you throw at it. It only requires java skills, and
understanding of integration patterns.

Before we started using Camel we had bought a big (java vendor) esb for
integrations. Our experience was that it requires a lot of product
knowledge, and existing java skills are not a natural fit.
After evaluating for about 4 month we dropped the esb product, and went for
a solution based on Camel deployed as war files on Weblogic.
Currently we are running about 120 apps/wars (1 war with 1 camel context
with 1-n routes) in production.

Q2 : see above (best solution is to do 1 came context pr. integration point)
We are typically doing 2 war (1 war=1 camel context) files pr. integration
because most integrations are hub and spokes based with a queue/topic
between provider system(s) and consumer system(s).

Q3 : I have no experience with IBM WAS, but I would presume that it is
similar to Weblogic.
Camel is just a library running inside your app. server.

My advice. Go for Camel any day

Best,

Preben

Re: Using Camel in large project (300 Applications to integrate)

Posted by Nick78 <ma...@ckc.de>.
Hi Preben,

thank you, now I got it!

Cheers,
Nick

Re: Using Camel in large project (300 Applications to integrate)

Posted by "Preben.Asmussen" <pr...@dr.dk>.
Hi Nick

The reason we typically have 2 war files pr integration is to separate the
responsibilities between provider and consumer systems.
An example :
Recieve xml files in a folder -> transform them -> send the message to 1 or
more consumer systems.

Camel context 1 (in war file1) -> reads the xml and transforms it and puts
in on a jms queue -> myqueue.
Camel context 2 (in war file2) -> dequeues from myqueue and sends payload to
consumer systems.

The benefit is that you can deploy/scale them separately even on different
nodes, and there is no coupling between provider and consumer systems (via
jms queue) so systems can come and go without affecting each other.

Best,
Preben

Re: Using Camel in large project (300 Applications to integrate)

Posted by Nick78 <ma...@ckc.de>.
Hi Preben,

Thank you, that helped us a lot!

But I didn't get your answer for Q2. What did you mean with 2 war files per
integration point. Our situation is as follows:

There is an application that will send data to an inbox of our system. Then
we will do a transformation (e.g. csv to XML) and put the new message to the
outbox. Then this message will be send to 1 or more other applications. So I
thought we build 1 war file including this route and the transformation.
That's it.

Nick