Posted to log4net-user@logging.apache.org by Gitit Amihud <gi...@yahoo.com> on 2005/07/05 08:27:31 UTC

RE: RollingFileAppender stop write to log files

Hi Nicko
I get the following exception:
g4net:ERROR [RollingFileAppender] Exception while rolling file [D:\NICECTI\log\RCM.log.25] -> [D:\NICECTI\log\RCM.log.26]
stem.IO.IOException: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.
 at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String str)
 at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError()
 at System.IO.FileInfo.MoveTo(String destFileName)
 at log4net.Appender.RollingFileAppender.RollFile(String fromFile, String toFile)
(its not so clear since I took it from the screen.)
the outcome is that new file is not open.
but in the log4net source I saw that there is call for :
this.OpenFile(m_baseFileName, false) in RollOverSize() but again its not open and we dont get logs for days till someone looking for them and dont find.

thanks for your help

Nicko Cadell <ni...@neoworks.com> wrote:
If you enable internal logging you should see any exceptions that are
generated by the appender:

http://logging.apache.org/log4net/release/manual/faq.html#internalDebug

Nicko

---------------------------------
Yahoo! Sports

Re: RollingFileAppender stop write to log files

Posted by Sebastian Andersson <sa...@hogia.net>.
On Mon, Jul 04, 2005 at 11:27:31PM -0700, Gitit Amihud wrote:
> I get the following exception:
> g4net:ERROR [RollingFileAppender] Exception while rolling file [D:\NICECTI\log\RCM.log.25] -> [D:\NICECTI\log\RCM.log.26]
> stem.IO.IOException: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

With Windows 2000 AS and VB6 I had a problem with rename when I
implemented a rolling file appender for a program. The old filename
was sometimes(!) locked by the OS for a while after a rename and it
was impossible to create a new file with the old-name until after
a short while (since the system wasn't time critical, I tried it again
in a loop).

Perhaps newer versions of windows keep that feature?

/Sebastian