Posted to user@guacamole.apache.org by Matthew Strowbridge <mj...@oct.services> on 2016/09/14 21:41:49 UTC

Client confusion

Hello,

Guacamole newbie here and I have client questions I just can’t find answers to. This may not be how to go about asking but I am going to give it a shot.

I have Guacamole server up and running and have created an ssh connection to a colocated server with direct internet connection and dedicated IP address. I am able to connect to it through my Guacamole Home no problem.

What confuses me is if there is not a client I can run on computers behind a router/firewall that connects to Guacamole server and allows me to connect to them through the Guacamole server as well, what is the point? If I have to create a connection providing an IP address and port to connect through on my Guacamole Home and then port forward from my firewall to the desired computer to be able to access it, I can just use RDP, SSH, or whatever native client to connect at that point. Am I missing something? Is there a client after all that I can run on say a Windows machine behind a firewall and still connect to it via my Guacamole server similar to a LogMeIn or Teamviewer service?

Sorry for my ignorance and if this is not how to submit a question please inform me as to proper method.

Regards,

Matthew Strowbridge
On Call Technology Services Inc.
(o)845.477.5208
(m)845.673.9678
(e)mjs@oct.services <ma...@oct.services>
http://www.oct.services <http://www.oct.services/>

 <https://www.facebook.com/octservicesinc> <https://www.linkedin.com/in/matthew-strowbridge-915b2210b> <https://www.twitter.com/octservicesinc>
 <https://www.twitter.com/octservicesinc>

Re: Client confusion

Posted by Bob Henderson <bh...@lpa.k12.mn.us>.
I strongly recommend putting Guac behind a reverse proxy of some kind, to
limit both the ports  you need to forward, and to allow for easy SSL
termination.

-Bob Henderson-
Technology Coordinator
Robotics Coach
Senior Drama Director
Lake Park Audubon Schools
218.238.5914 ext 2030
www.lakeparkaudubon.com
Check us out on Facebook! <http://www.facebook.com/lpa2889>

Re: Client confusion

Posted by Matthew Strowbridge <mj...@oct.services>.
Thanks Chris for your input as well.

I am getting the picture, as far as Guacamole is concerned, it gives me no benefit other than being able to access clients via http rather than individually via native client such as RDP, SSH, etc.

Being that I currently use VPN access and then remote into each ws or server via a saved connection within the appropriate client this would not even save me much time as it takes just as long to log into Guac then choose the client and connect as it does to connect to it natively through vpn. I will keep searching for a more logmein/Team Viewer like approach that does not require VPN, Reverse Proxy, etc. I worked with a platform many years ago that was beta testing a remote desktop add-in which wasn’t very good. Upon re-investigating it over the past couple of days some improvements have come about that may prove to be a better solution as it involves a client that connects to a server and is available as long as the client is connected.

Thanks again everyone for your info.

Re: Client confusion

Posted by Chris <ch...@theinterwebnet.co.uk>.
Hi Matthew,

Re: Client confusion

Posted by Matthew Strowbridge <mj...@oct.services>.
Good morning everyone,

Re: Client confusion

Posted by Matthew Strowbridge <mj...@oct.services>.
Good morning Andrew and Bob,

Re: Client confusion

Posted by Andrew Sedlak <as...@g-lux.com.au>.
Hi,
I think the whole point of Guacamole is that it's a centralized system,
allowing access through any web browser without the need for a client.
Basically once you've configured all your devices to talk with
Guacamole, you can access them all from a central point.
Myself I have a small setup when I have devices from two locations all
coming together in Guacamole. This does require some ports to be opened
and forwarded but once that's done, it's a fire and forget sort of deal.

On 15/09/2016 06:41, Matthew Strowbridge wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Guacamole newbie here and I have client questions I just can\u2019t find
> answers to. This may not be how to go about asking but I am going to
> give it a shot.
>
> I have Guacamole server up and running and have created an ssh
> connection to a colocated server with direct internet connection and
> dedicated IP address. I am able to connect to it through my Guacamole
> Home no problem.
>
> What confuses me is if there is not a client I can run on computers
> behind a router/firewall that connects to Guacamole server and allows
> me to connect to them through the Guacamole server as well, what is
> the point? If I have to create a connection providing an IP address
> and port to connect through on my Guacamole Home and then port forward
> from my firewall to the desired computer to be able to access it, I
> can just use RDP, SSH, or whatever native client to connect at that
> point. Am I missing something? Is there a client after all that I can
> run on say a Windows machine behind a firewall and still connect to it
> via my Guacamole server similar to a LogMeIn or Teamviewer service?
>
> Sorry for my ignorance and if this is not how to submit a question
> please inform me as to proper method.
>
> Regards,
>
> *Matthew Strowbridge*
> *On Call Technology Services Inc.*