Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Stephane MAGAND <st...@gmail.com> on 2010/01/22 09:41:20 UTC

SpamAssassin, One Baye for a lot of SpamAssassin server

Hello,

In a previous post, i have request a information, can i use one
central bayes database
for a lot of SpamAssassin Server.

I have received a answer: Yes

But what is the process ?

for > one spamassassin, we use obligatory a MySQL Server ?
If yes, the performence are not decreased ?

Thanks for your help
Stephane

Re: SpamAssassin, One Baye for a lot of SpamAssassin server

Posted by Jari Fredriksson <ja...@iki.fi>.
On 22.1.2010 10:53, Mariusz Kruk wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-01-22 at 19:47 +1100, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
>>> In a previous post, i have request a information, can i use one
>>> central bayes database
>>> for a lot of SpamAssassin Server.
>>>
>>> I have received a answer: Yes
>>>
>>> But what is the process ?
>>
>> I use a common bayes database for all users ;
>> I added :
>> use_bayes 1
>> bayes_path /usr/local/etc/mail/bayes/bayes
>> bayes_file_mode 0666
>>
>> to local.cf
>
> The original question was not about central database for all users on
> one host (which is a trivial solution), but for a central database for
> multiple servers.
> I suppose you could share common directory between servers via NFS and
> use the file database but I'm pretty sure you'd quickly run into
> problems with file locking and such stuff so you'd probablw want to go
> for MySQL solution.
> Check out this article for example:
> http://www.starbridge.org/spip/spip.php?article15&lang=fr
> (It uses debian as the base instalation but I don't think it's that
> different in other systems)

I use a MySQL solution shared with Debian Lenny and Red Hat 7.3 hosts. I
share the /etc/spamassassin via NFS, and the local.cf there defines the
SQL bayes parameters. Works fine, and no special host specific settings
are needed.

--
http://www.iki.fi/jarif/

You attempt things that you do not even plan because of your extreme
stupidity.

Re: SpamAssassin, One Baye for a lot of SpamAssassin server

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Fri, 22 Jan 2010, Mariusz Kruk wrote:

> On Fri, 2010-01-22 at 19:47 +1100, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
>>> In a previous post, i have request a information, can i use one
>>> central bayes database
>>> for a lot of SpamAssassin Server.
>>>
>>> I have received a answer: Yes
>>>
>>> But what is the process ?
>>
>> I use a common bayes database for all users ;
>
> The original question was not about central database for all users on
> one host (which is a trivial solution), but for a central database for
> multiple servers.
> I suppose you could share common directory between servers via NFS and
> use the file database but I'm pretty sure you'd quickly run into
> problems with file locking and such stuff so you'd probablw want to go
> for MySQL solution.

If you're not doing autolearn you can have a central training database
that is replicated out to the SA servers after a manual training run. But
if you're going to use autolearn and multiple servers, the only way to
stay sane is with a central SQL database.

   Rights can only ever be individual, which means that you cannot
   gain a right by joining a mob, no matter how shiny the issued
   badges are, or how many of your neighbors are part of it.  -- Marko
  Tomorrow: John Moses Browning's 155th Birthday

Re: SpamAssassin, One Baye for a lot of SpamAssassin server

Posted by Mariusz Kruk <kr...@epsilon.eu.org>.

\------------------------/
|  Kruk@epsilon.eu.org   |
| http://epsilon.eu.org/ |
/------------------------\

Re: SpamAssassin, One Baye for a lot of SpamAssassin server

Posted by Jean-Yves Avenard <jy...@gmail.com>.
Hi

2010/1/22 Stephane MAGAND <st...@gmail.com>:
> Hello,
>
> In a previous post, i have request a information, can i use one
> central bayes database
> for a lot of SpamAssassin Server.
>
> I have received a answer: Yes
>
> But what is the process ?

I use a common bayes database for all users ;
I added :
use_bayes 1
bayes_path /usr/local/etc/mail/bayes/bayes
bayes_file_mode 0666

to local.cf

make sure the username spamd runs under has write access to the folder.

That's it.

Same thing with the auto whitelist

Re: SpamAssassin, One Baye for a lot of SpamAssassin server

Posted by Ralph Bornefeld-Ettmann <il...@bornefeld-ettmann.de>.
Am 22.01.2010 21:40, schrieb Alex:
> Hi,
>
>> if you do not use MySQL for bayes, migrate.
>
> How do you determine whether the administrative overhead (downtime for
> maintenance, etc) is necessary or a simple periodic rsync would do the
> trick?
>
> How long can the bayes databases be out of sync before it becomes a
> problem? I suppose that question can't really be answered other than
> "the sooner, the better", but is the info really changing that
> frequently than syncing more than, say, every hour would be a problem?
>
> Mariusz Kruk wrote:
>> bayes_file_mode 0666
>
> That's a really bad idea. At least put your users in a group so it's
> not world-writable, but I would also think there's some suid program
> you could use in place (although they have problems of their own)?
>
> Thanks,
> Alex

hmmmm .... "mysqlstudent" asks if its necessary to move to MySQL ;-)

I personally prefer using a database instead of mounting filesystems via
NFS or rsyncing files. for me it is less effort

Re: SpamAssassin, One Baye for a lot of SpamAssassin server

Posted by Alex <my...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Ralph Bornefeld-Ettmann <il...@bornefeld-ettmann.de>.
Am 22.01.2010 18:31, schrieb d.hill@yournetplus.com:
> Quoting LuKreme <kr...@kreme.com>:
>
>> On 22-Jan-2010, at 02:07, Ralph Bornefeld-Ettmann wrote:
>>> bayes_store_module Mail::SpamAssassin::BayesStore::SQL
>>> bayes_sql_dsn DBI:mysql:mailscanner:<servername>:3306
>>> bayes_sql_username <bayesuser>
>>> bayes_sql_password <bayespass>
>>> bayes_sql_override_username <bayesuser>
>>

>> Where do you specify the name of the database to use?
>
> In the above, 'mailscanner' would be the database.

oops, sorry, forgot to replace that ...

Re: SpamAssassin, One Baye for a lot of SpamAssassin server

Posted by d....@yournetplus.com.

Posted by Kai Schaetzl <ma...@conactive.com>.
LuKreme wrote on Fri, 22 Jan 2010 09:30:28 -0700:

> Where do you specify the name of the database to use?

bayes_sql_dsn

why not check documentation?

Kai

Re: SpamAssassin, One Baye for a lot of SpamAssassin server

Posted by LuKreme <kr...@kreme.com>.
On 22-Jan-2010, at 02:07, Ralph Bornefeld-Ettmann wrote:
> bayes_store_module Mail::SpamAssassin::BayesStore::SQL
> bayes_sql_dsn DBI:mysql:mailscanner:<servername>:3306
> bayes_sql_username <bayesuser>
> bayes_sql_password <bayespass>
> bayes_sql_override_username <bayesuser>

Where do you specify the name of the database to use?

--
"Whose motorcycle is this?" "It's chopper, baby." "Whose chopper
	is this?" "It's Zed's." "Who's Zed?" "Zed' dead, baby. Zed's

Re: SpamAssassin, One Baye for a lot of SpamAssassin server

Posted by Ralph Bornefeld-Ettmann <il...@bornefeld-ettmann.de>.
Am 22.01.2010 09:41, schrieb Stephane MAGAND:
> Hello,
>
> In a previous post, i have request a information, can i use one
> central bayes database
> for a lot of SpamAssassin Server.
>
> I have received a answer: Yes
>
> But what is the process ?
>
> for > one spamassassin, we use obligatory a MySQL Server ?
> If yes, the performence are not decreased ?
>
> Thanks for your help
> Stephane

if you do not use MySQL for bayes, migrate.

in local.cf :

bayes_store_module Mail::SpamAssassin::BayesStore::SQL
bayes_sql_dsn DBI:mysql:mailscanner:<servername>:3306
bayes_sql_username <bayesuser>
bayes_sql_password <bayespass>
bayes_sql_override_username <bayesuser>

the performance question depends on so many facts and figures it is hard
to answer (network, hardware, traffic)

but using one central bayes db gives you the security that each SA
server adds the same score for bayes (there is no warranty it will be
the same with dedicated local databases)

but bear in mind that if anyone is able to poison your central db it is
poisoned for all SA servers. ;-)

hth
Ralph