Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Ron Crayton <rj...@yahoo.com> on 2005/04/11 20:35:55 UTC

RequestDispatcher.forward() to doc located on HTTP Server

Is it possible to use Request.forward() to forward a request to an html document located on an HTTP Server?

I'm using Tomcat 5.5.7 and Apache 2.0.

I have a document setting in the htdocs folder of Apache 2.0 that I'm trying to forward to from an application deployed in Tomcat 5.5.7.

I have this context in my server.xml file:

<Context path="/LoginApp" docBase="LoginApp" debug="0" reloadable="true" crossContext="true">
<Logger className="org.apache.catalina.logger.FileLogger" prefix="LoginApp." suffix=".log" timestamp="true"/>
</Context>

I have this code in my app:

ServletContext context = getServletConfig().getServletContext();
String uri = request.getQueryString();

ServletContext foreignContext = context.getContext("/");
RequestDispatcher requestDispatcher = foreignContext.getRequestDispatcher(uri);
requestDispatcher.forward(request, response);

The uri comes from the query string of the original request.
When the code runs it says that the requested resource is not available - Error 404.

Am I trying to do something that's impossible?

Please help.

Re: RequestDispatcher.forward() to doc located on HTTP Server

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
You might have better luck using a redirect. This should cause the
client to request the alternate resource which Apache would then serve.

Mark