Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Brett Porter <bp...@f2network.com.au> on 2003/11/26 23:13:32 UTC

site generation

Just a thought... should the main site now be generated from
MAVEN-1_0-BRANCH or HEAD?

I'm +1 for the branch as it is the next release and all changes made there
will go to HEAD eventually.

I think we need to resurrect that plan for general site publishing rules
from earlier in the year and flesh it out some more. I still have the notes
sitting on my desk... :)

Cheers,
Brett

--
Brett Porter
Team Leader, Core Systems

Re: site generation

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@maven.org>.
On Wed, 2003-11-26 at 17:13, Brett Porter wrote:
> Just a thought... should the main site now be generated from
> MAVEN-1_0-BRANCH or HEAD?
>
> I'm +1 for the branch as it is the next release and all changes made there
> will go to HEAD eventually.

Yah, I agree. Whatever branch is slated for the next release probably
makes the most sense.

> I think we need to resurrect that plan for general site publishing rules
> from earlier in the year and flesh it out some more. I still have the notes
> sitting on my desk... :)
>
> Cheers,
> Brett
>
> --
> Brett Porter
> Team Leader, Core Systems
> f2 network ~ everything essential

--
jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@zenplex.com
http://tambora.zenplex.org

RE: site generation

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@maven.org>.
On Wed, 2003-11-26 at 17:25, Vincent Massol wrote:
> Some ideas... :-)
>
> Why not 2 web sites:
>
> - maven.apache.org pointing to HEAD
> - maven.apache.org/1.0/ pointing to MAVEN-1_0-BRANCH

I think we need a site for the current release as well. And I suppose
any number of arbitrary branches then.

> I prefer this way. On the Cactus project I tried the opposite (i.e.
> default pointing to latest release) and it didn't work that well. After
> a few weeks we swapped to HEAD for the main site and the release
> versions in other directories (http://jakarta.apache.org/cactus/1.5/
> etc).
>
> Another variation (but slower) is:
>
> - maven.apache.org redirects to maven.apache.org/1.1/ pointing to HEAD
> - maven.apache.org/1.0/ pointing to MAVEN-1_0-BRANCH
>
> The plugins would stay in the same place. However we can apply the same
> principle to them: maven.apache.org/reference/plugins/[plugin
> name]/[version]/
>
> The project.xml would need to be modified to:
>
> <siteDirectory>/www/maven.apache.org/reference/plugins/ear/${pom.current
> Version}</siteDirectory>
>
> Then the navigation.xml can be modified to add:
>
>     <menu name="Docs for">
>       <item name="version 1.0" href="../1.0"/>
>       <item name="version 1.1" href="../1.1"/>
>     </menu>
>
> -Vincent

I would say the normal site should point at the current release docs and
then use your scheme to point at any number of desired branches.

--
jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@zenplex.com