Posted to users@maven.apache.org by heapifyman <he...@gmail.com> on 2008/10/17 15:59:07 UTC

[MAVEN-CORE-IT-LOG]

Hello.

Since yesterday several of my maven builds are failing. E.g. the
install:install goal fails and doesn't install the built artifact into
my local repo but instead just gives log output starting with the
subject line and creates some empty txt files.
As far as I understand (see:
http://www.nabble.com/Unintended-usage-of-core-plugin-stubs-td19633933.html),
some genius uploaded to the central repo some stub-xy versions of all
maven-xyz-plugins which don't do anything. Now maven loads these plugins
because it's taking the latest version for all plugins.
The only workaround for this seems to be to add group artifact and
version elements for all the plugins used in a normal maven lifecycle to
the pom.
This is tedious and should not be necessary in my opinion at least not
for the "official" maven plugins. Is there another way to get my builds
working again?

Anyway, even if this is supposed to educate people to write better poms
I would appreciate some kind of warning before someone messes around
with the official repos in such a way.

Thanks in advance.

Re: [MAVEN-CORE-IT-LOG]

Posted by Benjamin Bentmann <be...@udo.edu>.
heapifyman wrote:

> Since yesterday several of my maven builds are failing. E.g. the
> install:install goal fails [...]
> some genius uploaded to the central repo some stub-xy versions of all
> maven-xyz-plugins which don't do anything.

These stub plugins have been deployed to our snapshot repository, not to
central. For instance, there is no stub version of the Maven Install Plugin
here:

http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/maven/plugins/maven-install-plugin/
If you really find a stub plugin out on central, please tell us where as
this would need to be fixed.

Let me emphasize that the snapshot repository is meant for "testing purposes
only" and not for production usage as described in [0].

> The only workaround for this seems to be to add group artifact and
> version elements for all the plugins used in a normal maven lifecycle to
> the pom.
> This is tedious

The usual way of specifying the plugin versions is to use a corporate parent
POM that all your projects (directly or indirectly) inherit from. This way,
you can specify (default) plugin versions once in a central place,
independently of the Maven version you currently use.

> and should not be necessary in my opinion at least not for the "official"
> maven plugins.

Please consider locking down plugin versions a recommended practice, for all
plugins you use. Despite our best efforts to deliver good releases, there
could always be bugs or other behaviour changes in a plugin that might break
your build. Therefore, you should not base a production build on
auto-updates of plugins (at random times) but rather first try a new version
locally before using it throughout your build. Using LATEST for a plugin
version and the idea of a reproducible/stable build just do not fit
together.

Benjamin

[0]
http://maven.apache.org/guides/development/guide-testing-development-plugins.html

Re: [MAVEN-CORE-IT-LOG]

Posted by heapifyman <he...@gmail.com>.
Brian E. Fox schrieb:
> Actually looking at the metadata closer, there's no reason I can see that you would get these:
> http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-snapshot-repository/org/apache/maven/plugins/maven-install-plugin/maven-metadata.xml
>
> <metadata>
> <artifactId>maven-install-plugin</artifactId>
> <version>2.3-SNAPSHOT</version>
> −
> <versioning>
> <latest>2.3-SNAPSHOT</latest>
> −
> <versions>
> <version>2.3-SNAPSHOT</version>
> <version>0.1-stub-SNAPSHOT</version>
> </versions>
> <lastUpdated>20080923190003</lastUpdated>
> </versioning>
> </metadata>
>
> The latest is the correct version. Maybe you have a proxy somewhere that has cached the old metadata before it was fixed? Try clearing /org/apache/maven/plugins from your local and see if that helps.

Okay, thanks for the clarification. Actually, I have to use maven 2.0.8
and yes I'm using a proxy here (nexus). I'll try your suggestion.

RE: [MAVEN-CORE-IT-LOG]

RE: [MAVEN-CORE-IT-LOG]