Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> on 2019/12/02 14:55:46 UTC

Re: Tomcat next and Jakarta EE

On 28/11/2019 10:21, Rémy Maucherat wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 28, 2019 at 10:51 AM Mark Thomas <markt@apache.org
> <ma...@apache.org>> wrote:
>
>     On 27/11/2019 23:19, Rémy Maucherat wrote:
>
>     <snip/>
>
>     > Well, it sounds pretty good to me but the numbers are off and it's
>     going
>     > to be very very confusing. It pretty much has to be:
>     > Tomcat X supporting Jakarta EE X
>     > Tomcat X-1 supporting Jakarta EE X-1
>     > Tomcat X-2 supporting Jakarta EE X-2
>     > And Tomcat 9.X supporting Java EE 8 with the same Tomcat API as
>     Tomcat X
>     > [I understand the rationale for this to be able to achieve very long
>     > term support - and I expect the API changes will likely be rather
>     small
>     > anyway -, for example 8.5 and 9.0 have diverged too much to keep 8.5
>     > more stable, while if we had a 8.6 "trunk" to simply replace it
>     > eventually we could have kept in strict sync with 9.0]
>
>     I like it.
>
>     > The only problem then (but it's a big one) is to accommodate the
>     Tomcat
>     > "10" supporting Jakarta EE 9 somewhere. Maybe 9.9 can be used for that
>     > but it will still pollute a bit the 9.x message, it could be
>     labelled as
>     > a "Jakarta preview" or something maybe. Jakarta EE 9 is a useless
>     > release anyway, nobody will use it and that Tomcat could almost be
>     EOLed
>     > immediately after a Jakarta EE 10 release.
>
>     Hmm. Tricky.
>
>     How about something like this?
>
>     10.0.0.M1 Jakarta EE 9
>     10.0.0.M2 Jakarta EE 9
>     10.0.0 Jakarta EE 9 stable
>     10.0.1.M1 Jakarta EE 10 dev
>     10.0.1.M2 Jakarta EE 10 dev
>     10.0.1.M3 Jakarta EE 10 dev
>     10.0.1.M4 Jakarta EE 10 dev
>     10.0.1.M5 Jakarta EE 10 dev
>     10.0.0.1 Jakarta EE 9 some urgent bug fix
>     10.0.1.M6 Jakarta EE 10 dev
>     10.0.1.M7 Jakarta EE 10 dev
>     10.0.1.M8 Jakarta EE 10 dev
>     10.0.1    Jakarta EE 10 stable
>     10.0.n    Jakarta EE 10 stable / Tomcat 10 stable / 10.0.0 is EOL
>

> Good idea, I like it too. That Jakarta EE 9 is the ultimate transition
> release so it would be fitting if it had the most transitional Tomcat
> branch.
>
> Are we done already ? That was fast :)

:)

I suspect the US holiday weekend means some folks are still catching up
on email. I have tried to write this down on the wiki:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TOMCAT/Jakarta+EE+Release+Numbering

I plan to allow a week or so for dev@ comments and refining of the plan
before starting a discussion on users@

I'll also seek feedback from the Spring folks as $work as that
represents a reasonable slice of our Tomcat's user base.

Mark