Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Javier Puerto <ja...@apache.org> on 2012/10/11 00:38:57 UTC

Cocoon presentation link and questions about new contributions

Hi all,

I had working for an introduction talk about cocoon and I want lo leave the
github link. The presentation is in Spanish because was for the
http://barcampspain.com/ and http://www.congresohispanoluso.com/en/. Comes
with examples made with cocoon 3.0 parsing a F1 sport webpage and serve the
contents in different formats. If you are interested I can translate the
presentation to English (examples and code are in English).

Link: https://github.com/jpuerto/barcampes2012-cocoon

Working on the presentation I did a proof of concept creating an Apache
Tika generator. It's working but needs to enable caching and add the proper
test cases and samples. If you are interested, I can finish it and commit
changes.

While I was working with cocoon at work time I started a
OptimizerTransformer but I've found that IncludeTransformer is not
cacheable so I worked first to get it cacheable (COCOON3-100)
The transformer development is just at the beginning but before I continue
to work with it I want your opinion. The idea is to use YUI compressor (BSD
license) and define a custom language to define the static resources as CSS
and JS. The transformer should review the resources, respect the order,
compress the files and create optimized resources in a given path (to serve
from Apache HTTPD with mod_cache and different domain). As this operation
has a high cost, the transformer must control if the resource files
changed. Finally, the transformer will place the proper tag with the URL
for optimized static resources.

WDYT? maybe there's better solutions (I know google HTTPD mod_pagespeed but
it's always in beta state). The advantage is that you don't need to define
everything at build time, with maven plugin for example so you can organize
your static resources like you want (no one big file for all). On the other
hand it has a high processor cost, but caching should minimize it.

I didn't had time to work in Apache Cocoon 3.0 caching system since a
couple of months ago. Recently, I had to switch the project and ATM I'm not
working directly with cocoon. I want to take a closer look to the caching
system when I can get some free time (COCOON3-30 and fragment caching),
probably at December. Anyway, I will try to help in the mailing list and
make some contributions like described above.

I hope to see you soon in the ApacheCon,
Salu2.

Re: Cocoon presentation link and questions about new contributions

Posted by Javier Puerto <jp...@gmail.com>.
2012/10/11 Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org>

> On 11/10/2012 00:38, Javier Puerto wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I had working for an introduction talk about cocoon and I want lo
> > leave the github link. The presentation is in Spanish because was for
> > the http://barcampspain.com/ and
> > http://www.congresohispanoluso.com/en/. Comes with examples made with
> > cocoon 3.0 parsing a F1 sport webpage and serve the contents in
> > different formats. If you are interested I can translate the
> > presentation to English (examples and code are in English).
> >
> > Link: https://github.com/jpuerto/barcampes2012-cocoon
> >
> > Working on the presentation I did a proof of concept creating an
> > Apache Tika generator. It's working but needs to enable caching and
> > add the proper test cases and samples. If you are interested, I can
> > finish it and commit changes.
>
> +1
> It looks very cool :-)

Great, I will try to finish it soon.

> > While I was working with cocoon at work time I started a
> > OptimizerTransformer but I've found that IncludeTransformer is not
> > cacheable so I worked first to get it cacheable (COCOON3-100)
> > The transformer development is just at the beginning but before I
> > continue to work with it I want your opinion. The idea is to use YUI
> > compressor (BSD license) and define a custom language to define the
> > static resources as CSS and JS. The transformer should review the
> > resources, respect the order, compress the files and create optimized
> > resources in a given path (to serve from Apache HTTPD with mod_cache
> > and different domain). As this operation has a high cost, the
> > transformer must control if the resource files changed. Finally, the
> > transformer will place the proper tag with the URL for optimized
> > static resources.
> >
> > WDYT? maybe there's better solutions (I know google HTTPD
> > mod_pagespeed but it's always in beta state). The advantage is that
> > you don't need to define everything at build time, with maven plugin
> > for example so you can organize your static resources like you want
> > (no one big file for all). On the other hand it has a high processor
> > cost, but caching should minimize it.
>
> This sounds very interesting as well: as you know, I've been working on
> caching issues with XIncludeTransformer as well and I've ended up with a
> temporary solution - mainly because I needed that for a customer of
> mine. Actually, it is proving to be working quite well but your approach
> seems to me largely better in the long term.

> > I didn't had time to work in Apache Cocoon 3.0 caching system since a
> > couple of months ago. Recently, I had to switch the project and ATM
> > I'm not working directly with cocoon. I want to take a closer look to
> > the caching system when I can get some free time (COCOON3-30 and
> > fragment caching), probably at December. Anyway, I will try to help in
> > the mailing list and make some contributions like described above.
>
> I was actually waiting for COCOON3-30 / COCOON3-100 to take breath for
> cutting a M1 release (I know, we're talking of this since too much
> time...); in C3 timing terms, December is like as tomorrow, hence I'd
> like to support as soon as you'll be able to get back on this.

Maybe we can work on this in the hackaton at 5th November.

> > I hope to see you soon in the ApacheCon,
>
> Yep, me too: who's coming??? Chance to have a small Cocoon Get Together
> (or just a beer) there?

Yeah!, we can continue discussion in the Thorsten thread.

Salu2.

Re: Cocoon Get Together on ACEU 2012 Sinsheim (was Re: Cocoon presentation link and questions about new contributions)

Posted by Jos Snellings <jo...@upperware.biz>.
Hi all,

I can think of only one real show stopper:
the multiple web application deployment issue (block reference/name
ambiguity).
Are there any others?

Kind regards,
Jos

On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 2:14 PM, Francesco Chicchiriccò <ilgrosso@apache.org

--
All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called "Facts". They
are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain.

Re: Cocoon Get Together on ACEU 2012 Sinsheim (was Re: Cocoon presentation link and questions about new contributions)

Posted by Javier Puerto <jp...@gmail.com>.
2012/10/17 Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org>

>  FYI, I've added our hackaton to: feel free to change anything if needed
> and don't forget to add +1 to the interest column (if interested, of
> course...)

Great, I've added all the codebusters crew.

Posted by Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org>.

Posted by Javier Puerto <jp...@gmail.com>.
2012/10/12 Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org>

> On 11/10/2012 11:08, Thorsten Scherler wrote:

>>> Yep, me too: who's coming??? Chance to have a small Cocoon Get Together
>>> (or just a beer) there?
>>>

>> Hi all,
>>
>> I was up to write a similar mail asking about a CGT.
>>
>> We from codebusters.es will come in total 4 pers. Andy tries to come as
>> well and Simone and Francesco are there since they are speakers. Meaning we
>> have a pretty strong group and should get together to get some work on
>> cocoon done and directly commit it. ;)
>>

> Great idea: maybe we'll be able to remove any obstacle for a new C3
> release ;-)

+1

Posted by Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org>.

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <sc...@gmail.com>.
On 10/11/2012 09:22 AM, Francesco Chicchiriccò wrote:
> On 11/10/2012 00:38, Javier Puerto wrote:
>> I hope to see you soon in the ApacheCon,
> Yep, me too: who's coming??? Chance to have a small Cocoon Get Together
> (or just a beer) there?

Hi all,

I was up to write a similar mail asking about a CGT.

We from codebusters.es will come in total 4 pers. Andy tries to come as
well and Simone and Francesco are there since they are speakers. Meaning
we have a pretty strong group and should get together to get some work
on cocoon done and directly commit it. ;)

codebusters.es is right now moving papers to be official sponsor for a
CocoonGetTogether on ACEU 2012 so that we could get some drink and food
for the hackathon.

What is the best day for everyone? I guess Monday 05.11 would be the
best day, or?

BTW 3 of us will fly in already on 1.11 and the 4th will come on the
4th. We booked a private house in the area and plan to see some sights
on the weekend. If somebody is interested in a private house I have some
contacts that still may have some space left, further if somebody is
interested to get a beer on the weekend before let us talk. ;)

salu2

--
Thorsten Scherler <scherler.at.gmail.com>
codeBusters S.L. - web based systems

http://www.codebusters.es/

Re: Cocoon presentation link and questions about new contributions

Posted by Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org>.

Posted by Robby Pelssers <Ro...@nxp.com>.
Hi Javier,

I'm intrigued of course and I would like to know a little more about your demo project.  But I'm sure I don't fully understand what is exactly the use case you solved.  I can perhaps explain how we use Cocoon (2.2) at my customer and you can explain what is the difference:

-          Search forms interfacing with XMLDB / Alfresco services / Custom Webservice(s) showing aggregated content  (http://lagivan.blogspot.nl/2011/11/dynamicreports-and-cocoon-integration.html)

-          Transforming XML content into DITA maps / topics with XSLT and use integrated DITA toolkit to generate NXP datasheets.  It's a matter of previewing / generating and publishing the datasheet to Alfresco now. E.g. http://www.nxp.com/documents/data_sheet/PH3330L.pdf

-          Generate DITA content for automated translation into multiple languages

-          Data conversions between [CSV , XML, JSON, RDF, RDBMS, XMLDB]

-          ...

I would argue that we've been able to almost do everything using the Cocoon framework but we also face time constraints to make the move to C3.  Back to my original question now ;-)

So you have some input which you transform and serve in different formats.   Can you shortly describe how this is done?  In fact we already use two different approaches (DITA toolkit and dynamic reports).  But I'm pretty sure you are taking a different approach.

Robby

Posted by Peter Hunsberger <pe...@gmail.com>.
Hi Javier,

not quite sure what you are asking about?  I know you're asking about
caching implementations, but it's not clear what the problem is in general
that you are addressing, or is this just a solution for a very specific
problem?  Is this caching Cocoon resources, HTTP level caching or maybe
even something in between?

Peter Hunsberger