Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Michael Grant <mg...@grant.org> on 2017/12/05 18:01:54 UTC

Re: MSBL Email Blocklist (EBL) SA usage query

N.B. that the HASHBL_EMAIL initial installed -- as distributed --
SCORE is set to a lowly 1 in hashbl.cf, viz.:

loadplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::HashBL HashBL.pm

ifplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::HashBL
    header   HASHBL_EMAIL eval:check_hashbl_emails('ebl.msbl.org')
    describe HASHBL_EMAIL Message contains email address found on the EBL
    score    HASHBL_EMAIL 1.0
endif

Highly Recommended you up it to at least 5 (ours is presently set at 9).

In the many months we’ve been using the EBL SA Plugin we have yet to
see a single FP and with the 9 SCORE we are able to blocking this type
of drop box spam at the SMTP level with SA with scores at 15 or
greater!

Re: MSBL Email Blocklist (EBL) SA usage query

Posted by RW <rw...@googlemail.com>.
On Tue, 05 Dec 2017 21:03:07 -0500
Michael Grant wrote:

> On 5 December 2017 18:40:15 GMT-05:00, Benny Pedersen <me...@junc.eu>
> wrote:
> >Michael Grant skrev den 2017-12-05 19:01:
> >
> >> loadplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::HashBL HashBL.pm
> >
> >this line must not be in cf file but should be in pre file
> >

> interesting, because "as distributed" & installed on Debian, it's in
> our .cf file (and we've had no "problems"/"issues")!

In general they are supposed to go in .pre files because those files
are loaded earlier in the start-up process. With most plugins you can
get away with loading them late, but a minority wont work correctly.

Re: MSBL Email Blocklist (EBL) SA usage query

Posted by Michael Grant <mi...@gmail.com>.

On 5 December 2017 18:40:15 GMT-05:00, Benny Pedersen <me...@junc.eu> wrote:
>Michael Grant skrev den 2017-12-05 19:01:
>
>> loadplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::HashBL HashBL.pm
>
>this line must not be in cf file but should be in pre file
>
># cat hashbl.pre
>loadplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::HashBL
>/path-to-custom-sa-plugins/HashBL.pm
>
># cat hashbl.cf
>> ifplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::HashBL
>>     header   HASHBL_EMAIL eval:check_hashbl_emails('ebl.msbl.org')
>>     describe HASHBL_EMAIL Message contains email address found on the
>
>> EBL
>>     score    HASHBL_EMAIL 1.0
>> endif

interesting, because "as distributed" & installed on Debian, it's in our .cf file (and we've had no "problems"/"issues")!

But thanks for the comments.

Re: MSBL Email Blocklist (EBL) SA usage query

Posted by Benny Pedersen <me...@junc.eu>.