Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Glenn Fleishman <gl...@glenns.org> on 2000/02/21 18:42:37 UTC

general/5790: Too many open files error via CGI (may be mod_cgi problem)

>Number:         5790
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       Too many open files error via CGI (may be mod_cgi problem)
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
>Responsible:    apache
>State:          open
>Class:          sw-bug
>Submitter-Id:   apache
>Arrival-Date:   Mon Feb 21 09:50:00 PST 2000
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     glenn@glenns.org
>Release:        1.3.11
Until i installed 1.3.11, I was running 1.3.9 (both with mod_ssl) and didn't have this problem with identical software. After running for several hours, the system starts generating "too many open files" errors and must be manually restarted. I thought this might be a system instability, but have tracked it back to the install date of 1.3.11. It's happened daily since I installed that release.

I run a number of perl daemons that interact with Apache CGIs, and I'm wondering if the CGI perl is not having its filehandles properly closed on exit? I'm not sure how to better document this. I'm reverting to 1.3.9 right away to solve the problem.

 [to include <ap...@Apache.Org> in the Cc line and make sure the]